cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 8

Another customer wants to take over the phone line

This morning I got a text message saying that another customer wants to take over the phone line at my address and to call 0800 500 288.

I didn't call that number because I thought it was scam so I called 150 directly. It turned out that its true, there was a request to take over my phone line, the person I spoke to said it can happen if a new customer has entered the address wrong.  BT said it would cancel the request.

But just now I got a phone called , recorded message saying the same thing that a customer wants to take over my phone line... to press 1 if I wanted to speak to someone (I didn't)

if the request was cancelled , why am I getting this phone call again? should I worry?

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8

Re: Another customer wants to take over the phone line

@borderlinewrote:

should I worry?

Hi @borderline   Yes, you need to make as much noise as possible. This community is full of customers that lost their telephone line because they believed it couldn't happen to them.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 8

@borderlinewrote:

if the request was cancelled , why am I getting this phone call again? should I worry?

It can take a few hours for the update to cascade through the system, so it could be related to the original request.
Try calling tomorrow or Thursday to confirm the takeover has been cancelled, it happens when someone moves into your area and they are unfamiliar with the new address, this is why the takeover process is 10-14 days to avoid mistakes and allows time to stop them.

Message 4 of 8

I've just spoken to CS and she said on their system is cancelled . I hope it's ok because I'm going away on Saturday for a week and I don't want to come back home and have no phone or internet 

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 8

If it's cancelled then it only needs done once, just be mindful incase a new order is raised, you'd be suprised by how common it is for someone to say yes I 100% live there and then it turns out they don't, you would get a new email, text, letter and call with each takeover request raised.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 8

I actually know who the new customer is, my suspicion was the new restaurant just below me .. I spoke to them and said yes they requested a new line today, with Virgin though but they give the right address, so it must be Virgin's fault

In any case if I get another text or call regarding this issue I will call again to make sure it was properly cancelled 

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 8

@borderlinewrote:

I actually know who the new customer is, my suspicion was the new restaurant just below me .. I spoke to them and said yes they requested a new line today, with Virgin though but they give the right address, so it must be Virgin's fault

Virgin Media have their own network and can't takeover an Openreach line, they could do a number port which would have the same result but then they'd need to give your landline number to do so, sounds more like they contacted a few providers, one of which use Openreach and an order raised.

Message 8 of 8

I misunderstood the people from the restaurant, it was BT who they ordered with.. they tried Virgin first but because they had to wait or something at the end they went with BT

but I had to call again BT this morning because I received another message about new customer talking over my phone line.. they assured me that request was cancelled and in the end I got a new contract with a bit of discount (my existing one was still good until October)