cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 8

Another customer wants to take over the phone line

Go to solution

Yesterday I received a text, voicemail & email stating "Another customer wants to take over the phone line at your address on 24/4/23. The this is wrong call 0800 **................ "
I've checked with BT and am told the phone number is a BT number (unfortunately they are closed today so will try and check tomorrow) 

My question is...........who would do this? The area has been saturated by Jurassic Fibre laying cable recently and I wondered it it was them just trying it on?

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8

Re: Another customer wants to take over the phone line

Go to solution

@lyn6 

More likely someone has placed an order and entered the wrong address. This often happens in blocks of flats or apartments where someone selects the wrong flat number.

By ringing that BT number, you should be able to stop the takeover.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 8

Go to solution

Thanks Keith. I live in a block of flats and there is a new resident, I'll check with her as well. Thanks for response

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 8

Go to solution

It can happen if there is a dropdown list of flat numbers, its easy to select the wrong one.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 8

Go to solution

Hi, @lyn6 it sounds very possible this is related to an order that your new neighbor has made. If you give 0800 500  288 a call and select option 1 they'll be able to cancel the transfer, they will be open today.

Thanks

Neil

Message 6 of 8

Go to solution

Spoken to BT and change is cancelled. As suggested it was probably user error. 
Thanks guys - as always great feedback

Message 7 of 8

Go to solution

Hi @lyn6 I'm glad you got that sorted.

Neil

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 8

Go to solution

If you haven’t already done so , it may be worth chatting with your new neighbour and confirming that it was them that raised the order ( and confirming they used the correct flat number, they may have made the mistake not the ISP ) as it can be the case that when their  order is cancelled by your ISP  , the ISP that your new neighbour used will simply try again , using your address details again , and you go through the same rigmarole , if the neighbour used the correct address ( so the mistake was the ISP and not the neighbour ) they may need to ensure the ISP uses the correct flat number and not your flat number.

0 Ratings