cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 5

BT Broadband re-contracts with monthly change of BT TV package?

Good evening, I am hoping someone may be able to answer a query for me. 

I made a change to my BT TV package in July, via telephone, to upgrade from BT Sport to Big Sport. I’ve only just noticed that this change has re-contracted my Broadband. 

So, if I now wish to change my TV package does broadband re-contract again?

The advertised ‘flexibility’ of being able to change TV then continually locks you in to renewing Broadband 24 month contracts. 

Is this correct please and how is this allowed? 

As a long-standing customer of BT, I was not informed of the re-contract on the telephone (it also added a random £2 Digital ID charge that I was not informed about). 

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5

Re: BT Broadband re-contracts with monthly change of BT TV package?

Hi @eddiegee, welcome to the forum and thanks for your post.
I assume the initial package you had was just BT Sport and not a flexible TV package,

"..introducing flexible packages where you can upgrade, downgrade and add on content month-by-month without changing your contract." Check out Changing your BT TV package and add-ons | BT Help 

Cheers

John

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 5

@eddiegeewrote:

So, if I now wish to change my TV package does broadband re-contract again?

If you were on an older lagacy TV promotion, then switching to the new flexible TV plans would trigger a re-contract, now you have the new TV plans you can change monthly without a new minimum term, the only exception is if you're offered a discounted rate, they would trigger another re-contract, standard pricing wouldn't.

You would see this before making any changes online though, you can then decide if any discount is worth a new minimum term or not.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 5

Same here - very frustrating. I just called BT to cancel a phone service (International Freedom) that I don't use anymore. But as a result they've renewed my contract for another 24 months and charge me this annoying £2. Their call centre staff doesn't mention this at all.

Maybe I just use the 14day cooling-off period to revert this change and return to my old contract; then leave BT when that runs out....

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 5

I signed up to BT Sport with the 4k add on on 29/09/2022, which I signed up to when I got the BT Box Pro. The order stated this was a 24 month contract  

Does anyone know when the Flexible TV packages were launched please? 

I am thinking of taking this further if I can.

Thanks for the replies so far. 

0 Ratings