cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 10

BT Halo 3+ issue

Go to solution

Hello

I recently discovered that my elderly parents had signed up (@ renewal) for the above.

I was shocked when I tested their speed and they were getting max speeds of 43MB, now this wouldn't be too bad if you were on one of BT's standard packages but the package my parents have is costing them £70 a month for just the broadband only, Line rental is separate (which I know is normal) on top of this.

BT's own website has various packages at a fraction of this price all offering higher speeds (dependant on cabling I know)

I contacted BT which from previous awful experiences I knew would be like pulling teeth and was on the phone for two hours with an agent who tbh huffed and puffed so much it was clear he was not going to be of any help.

The agent repeatedly mentioned how it was fibre to the cabinet but seem to have no interest after many repeated attempts to explain that although this may be the case it's still copper wiring to the property so why were they allowed to take out a package that is never going to give them the speeds it's intended for until they have a fibre connection to the door which could be anything up to as late as 2026 according to open reaches fibre rollout checker and definitely not before their contract expire in September 2023.

I know lots of the packages BT have are called Fibre 1,2 or 3 but the main issue is they should only pay for the appropriate service that is available to them currently and not based on cabling not even carried out yet.

Not that it matters to BT but as my parents are both elderly and not in good health this has distressed them quite considerably, Due to those issues we asked the agent if we could be released from the contract as Virgin have their own network and can provide 10x faster speeds at more than ½ the cost.

In the current climate, I would hate for my parents to be in a situation where general needs like heating and food come at the cost of their pricey broadband package.

Thanks

Dave  

Tags (2)
0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10

Re: BT Halo 3+ issue

Go to solution

Are your parents still within the cooling off period? if not, and based on the information you have given, you may want to raise a complaint over mis-selling

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 10

Go to solution
Hi Lee

Thanks for the reply, Unfortunately not as it looks like they switched in August 2021
0 Ratings
Message 4 of 10

Go to solution

If your parents have halo 3+ when did they renew their broadband contract?  Line rental is included in the broadband package not separate anymore.  If you check MYBT should see what is included and when contract ends

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 5 of 10

Go to solution
Ahh yes you are correct, its not line rental but a 700 min calling plan they have.
0 Ratings
Message 6 of 10

Go to solution

Your parents don't need Halo just basic fibre broadband. They are paying for all the extras that come with the Halo package.

See here. https://www.bt.com/exp/halo 

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 10

Go to solution

Hi @Dangerousdaveeg and welcome.

It's been a while but great to see you again. I'm sorry your parents might be on the wrong package. I can look into this and get them something more suitable. If that's ok with you I'll drop you a private message now so you can send over the details.

Cheers

David

Message 8 of 10

Go to solution

Hi @Dangerousdaveeg

Thanks for sending us over a message.

I tried calling you today and I left a message on your mobile.  I have also replied to your message, privately.

Come back to me when you have the chance and we will take it from there 😁

Robbie

Message 9 of 10

Go to solution

Hi @Dangerousdaveeg

Thanks very much for taking the time to chat with me again today.

Everything we talked about is sorted now and you'll receive an email confirming the changes I've made.  I am really pleased I could help resolve the complaint.

I will go ahead and close things off from my side as agreed but if you need a hand in future you know where we are!

Have a nice evening.

All the best,

Robbie

Message 10 of 10

Go to solution

Similarly I have just found out that my elderly parents signed up to a Halo 3+ contract, commencing last February; upgrading from Fibre 1.  My mother has been complaining that it's been much slower since it was changed.

I checked her service and bill... she's not wrong.  It's slow.  It's not slow because of a technical issue though.

BT - They've been paying over £60 per month for a 20mb down and 5mb up broadband service; plus extra for the telephone line rental and a couple of 500mb mobile phone packages.

The router downstream sync speed shows ~21mb  (Fibre broadband vdsl).  They'd likely get faster speeds pulling the copper and failing over to the EE router!  You'll gather that I'm really not happy about this.

BT - you should be ashamed of yourselves.

Everyone else - do your elderly parents a favour, if you haven't already, and check what they're paying for.

@Dangerousdaveeg - thanks for highlighting

0 Ratings