cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 6

BT Home Essentials for DLA recipients

Go to solution

Hi there

Recently, as my 24-month package was due to expire, I had to renew on a new deal with BT to keep my service. Initially, I was hoping that this would allow me to reduce my bill, as I am paying around £50 per month just for basic fibre + landline rental, but my bills have stayed roughly the same since signing onto the new deal.

While speaking with the BT representative on the phone, he mentioned to me that there was a social tariff that benefits claimants were able to access. This is of course a very attractive option for me, so I went onto the online eligibility checker, but it said I am not eligible for Home Essentials despite me receiving Disabled Living Allowance. Is DLA one of the supported DWP benefits for Home Essentials, and if not, why is it not included in the criteria?

Regards

Carolyn Ashby

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6

Re: BT Home Essentials for DLA recipients

Go to solution

this shows the criteria to qualify for home essentials

https://www.bt.com/exp/broadband/home-essentials?s_cid=con_bt_dg-home_awin_aff_vidAJM_110483-Editori...

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 6

Go to solution

Who can get BT Home Essentials?

New or existing BT customers can apply. You’ll also need to be receiving one of these benefits to qualify:

• Universal Credit
    (all claimants)
  • Pension Credit
    (Guarantee Credit)

Don’t forget you’ll need your National Insurance number when you order, so we can check you’re eligible.

the package is open to income related benefits so DLA wont qualify.

My husband gets income related ESA and i am his full time carer but because the account is in my name it wont let me access the package on line. Did an on line chat was advised i could change the account into my husbands name. Rang the team at BT and the advice was to ring DWP and change the DWP claim to my name ???  As a household  we meet the eligibility criteria and we should be able to access the package but cant.  I am truly gobsmacked
0 Ratings
Message 4 of 6

Go to solution

@carolynashby61 wrote:

Is DLA one of the supported DWP benefits for Home Essentials, and if not, why is it not included in the criteria?

Home Essentials is for people on low incomes, essentially defined as those in receipt of specified income-related benefits. DLA is not income-related.

--
You can click the thumbs up icon below this message if you think it was helpful.
Message 5 of 6

Go to solution

The Home Essentials is not based on house holds. It is for individual BT account holders who meet the criteria.

You can not change the name of the BT account holder. You would need to cancel the account in your husbands name and take out a new account in your name. 

This may incur cancellation fees.  

Message 6 of 6

Go to solution

i put it down as 'household' as i am part of my husbands ESA claim but the claim is on his NI number as he is the one with disabilities.  

0 Ratings