cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 6

BT discount for copper wire broadband

Go to solution

I recall BT used to offer a discount if a customer was still on copper wire broadband because of the speeds being slower than fibre broadband. Is this still the case?

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6

Re: BT discount for copper wire broadband

Go to solution

No.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 6

Go to solution
Discounts are sometimes available, depending on various things ,but being on copper isn’t one of them , if anything OR provide incentives to ISP’s to encourage their customers to switch from copper to fibre ( FTTP if it’s available or FTTC ) , so you are as likely to get a discount from an ISP to encourage you to move off ‘copper’ , they certainly won’t incentivise anyone to stay on it, if fibre alternatives are available
0 Ratings
Message 4 of 6

Go to solution

Thank you for your response. I am sure I remember I received a discount because fibre broadband was not available in my area and BT offered a discount to their standard charges because of this and the slower copper wire speeds. Perhaps I was mistaken?

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 6

Go to solution

@nickjp1 wrote:

I am sure I remember I received a discount because fibre broadband was not available in my area

Maybe, but things change. I remember when BT Sport was free to BT broadband customers; it's now pushing £20 a month.

--
You can click the thumbs up icon below this message if you think it was helpful.
0 Ratings
Message 6 of 6

Go to solution

TBH , there has never been a official ‘discount’ for someone on ADSL ( exchange based broadband ) simply because that was all that was available ( assuming FTTC wasn’t available for example ) , as they are different products, FTTC sold as ‘fibre’ broadband, initially called ‘BT Infinity 1 or Infinity 2’ to differentiate it from standard ADSL broadband, however , BT as well as most ISPs can and do deviate from list prices , so it’s possible that at some point a BT Rep, implied that the reduction in price they offered you on standard ADSL broadband was ‘because you can’t get FTTC’ ,

Its certainly now the case that exchange based broadband is a legacy product and if alternatives are available then they would be offered , TBH , as speed is normally the thing that determines price , ADSL2 , which can deliver (theoretically) 24Mb but sold as 17Mb average speed is going to be cheaper ( without discounting the price ) than FTTC which is 40/55 or 80Mb and sold as average speed 63Mb , (for Fibre 2 , )

FTTP can deliver up to 900Mb but where some speeds are common to FTTC ( 40/55 or 80Mb ) it’s the same price regardless of it being FTTC or FTTP , but FTTP would give the headline speed , not liable to distance related reductions like FTTC , which is why FTTC 80Mb is sold as ‘average 63Mb’ .

Anyway , if all you want is ASDL from the exchange, and they are BT still selling that in your location, it may be cheaper than FTTC , but almost certainly slower ,  and if FTTC is available, that may be a much better option even if it were a tiny bit more expensive 

0 Ratings