cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 10

BT phone line and fibre contract ended on 18th October. Still being charged

Go to solution

Before I try and contact BT customer service, I thought I'd ask the question here.

My phone line and fibre contract ended on 18th October.  The services ceased on this date and I've already sent back the equipment to BT using their returns bag.

I've noticed today that BT have taken a further £74.00 out of my account and I'm wondering why.  I left the direct debit in place expecting to receive a refund, but I'm now confused as to why I'm continuing to be billed.

I can't log into my BT account now as it doesn't recognise my details, which I would sort of expect as I'm no longer a BT customer.

Can anyone explain why I'm still being changed for a service I no longer have and when I can expect to receive a refund?

Many thanks

0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10

Re: BT phone line and fibre contract ended on 18th October. Still being charged

Go to solution
I thought I'd just add another update here. I've spoken to BT and apparently, even though my old "btinternet" e-mail account had been dropped to a basic service (I don't use this e-mail account anyway), this was keeping the account open and thus I was still being charged. I spoke to a helpful gentleman at BT and they've now closed that e-mail account as well so hopefully, I should be due a refund in a week or so.
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 10

Go to solution

I think you have been fed a load of rubbish about the email account keeping your account open.

You can only get a BTMail basic account once your BT Broadband account has been closed!

Message 4 of 10

Go to solution

Oh. Well that's worrying then. I guess I'll have to keep an eye out for a refund (or not). I don't really care about the e-mail account as I never used it. I've never used an e-mail address tied to a service provider. I guess I have to give them the benefit of the doubt at this stage as there's nothing further I can do unless one of the mods wants to weigh in on this.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 10

Go to solution

Hey @SuperFlyGuy,

The BT Basic Mail side of things can keep your account open as it needs an account number to show who owns it and to give you the option to upgrade to Premium Mail should you wish. However, as it's a free service, it should not affect any of the billing side of things. Personally, I have seen some accounts that didn't get a Final Bill but we were not billing them any more so there were no additional charges for services they no longer had.

When you say that we have taken a further £74 out this month, do we normally take that same amount? If yes, then you have a Monthly Payment Plan where we take a certain amount out each month on the same date. That needs to be stopped. I'm going to send you a private message with some details that I'll need to get this looked into by either myself or one of my team. It can take us a couple of working days normally to get back to you if we can't get to you this weekend that is.

Thanks
DanielS

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 10

Go to solution

Thanks @DanielS 

I've responded to your private message

Regards

Message 7 of 10

Go to solution

Hi @SuperFlyGuy I'm happy that I was able to help you get this sorted.

Neil

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 10

Go to solution

Good morning again.

Apologies for resurrecting my post, but I'm still waiting on a refund based on my final bill.  The bill was dated 14th November and the amount I'm still owed is £124.50.  I'd cancelled my direct debit due to payments still being taken out of my account after my service terminated, and so they have apparently sent this refund out as a cheque.  However, as of today (20th December), I've still yet to receive the cheque.  Even with all the postal strikes, I'd have expected to have received it by now.  I've received other post in that time.

I have spoken to BT a couple of times and they have said that the cheque has been sent out.  Could someone possibly check for me and advise is there's a different way in which I can receive this refund (refund to a debit card maybe or even setting up another direct debit)?

If I need to create a new post, please let me know.

Many thanks

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 10

Go to solution

Hi @SuperFlyGuy

Thank you for posting back!

Please follow the guidance in the private message I sent you and we'll double check this from our side. See: Private messages

Thanks,

Robbie

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 10

Go to solution

Thanks Robbie.  I've responded to your message.

Kind Regards

0 Ratings