cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 21

BT shows different available speeds to other providers/Openreach and unsure what to order.

Hi all, I am hoping someone can offer some advice.

I will be moving into an apartment shortly and need to order my broadband. The BT broadband checker is only showing that I can order up to 300 Mbps but the other providers show up to 910 Mbps. Openreach also states that up to 1800 Mbps is available.

I am just wondering if BT is correct, or should I go with a provider that offers a faster speed. Is it possibly the case that Openreach and the other providers say that speed because the area is wired for it but that the apartment is limited due to it's setup, wrong fibre cable etc?

I can see that there are none of the grey boxes on the outside of the building, so it would seem that there must be some central point internally and all of the apartments cabled up via cables inside. Would this make it impossible to get the higher speeds and BT could be advertising what the apartments were cabled up for when they were built in 2019? or are the cables fine and a box just needs updating somewhere in the building?

Thank you in advance for any thoughts

Kind regards

Hapless

0 Ratings
20 REPLIES 20
Message 2 of 21

Re: BT shows different available speeds to other providers/Openreach and unsure what to order.

Do you mean to say that this: Fibre Checker (openreach.com) shows FTTP 1800Mbps

and

this: BT Broadband (btwholesale.com) shows something else?

What does this: Broadband | Home Broadband & Line Rental | BT show you when you enter your address?

Are you sure you havent scrolled down to see the other products available? I really hate asking this but if you can get 300Mbps I dont see why you cant get 900Mbps with BT because both are FTTP products.

Of course if there is something unique to the way in which it is all provided to your block then I could just be wrong, this is always the part where I worry that @iniltous will show up and make me look stupid with pure facts!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
BT900 | Nokia ONT | Ubiquiti ER-X | EETV Box Pro (IP Mode) | Unifi CK2 | 6x Unifi U6+ | 2x Unifi SAK Ultra
Message 3 of 21

Re: BT shows different available speeds to other providers/Openreach and unsure what to order.

Hi, thank you for coming back to me with those links, they have more info,

so, Fibre checker at Openreach shows 1800,

BT wholesale is showing max download as 330,

BT Broadband only shows up to 300,

Vodafone, Sky, Plusnet etc show 900.

I was really hoping I could get 900, I have never been able to get really good internet where I have lived. I am thinking that if I order with a different provider, the engineer will visit and just jay it isn't available 😞

Regards

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 21

Can you post the output from the BT Wholesale Checker here but obscure the address at the top?

Plusnet should be using the same backbone as BT so if they are showing more thats odd. Sky, Vodafone and TalkTalk have different backhaul I think so could offer different products.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
BT900 | Nokia ONT | Ubiquiti ER-X | EETV Box Pro (IP Mode) | Unifi CK2 | 6x Unifi U6+ | 2x Unifi SAK Ultra
Message 5 of 21

Thank you for your time on this, it says...

Featured Products Downstream Line Rate(Mbps) Upstream Line Rate (Mbps) Downstream Range (Mbps) Availability Date FTTP Install ProcessWBC FTTP
Up to 330Up to 50--AvailableKCI2 Assure
Other Offerings Availability DateVDSL Multicast
Available

Our records show the following FTTP network service information for these premises:-Multi Dwelling Unit Residential UG Feed with no anticipated issues.

ONT exists with active service. A spare port may be available or a single port ONT may be swappable to a multiport ONT. A new ONT may be ordered.

For all ADSL and WBC Fibre to the Cabinet (VDSL or G.fast) services, the stable line rate will be determined during the first 10 days of service usage.

In order to be eligible for handback, downstream speed should be less than Downstream Handback Threshold values.

If you decide to place an order for a WBC fibre product, an appointment may be required for an engineer to visit the end user's premises to supply the service

ADSL, ADSL2+ and SOADSL availability: If shown at FTTP or SOGEA premises,ADSL, ADSL2+ and SOADSL are not available to order due to WLR Withdrawal stop sell rules. CPs should order FTTP or SOGEA. Copper products are only available by exception.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 21

@naylor2006 😂

There was a period where ECI headends and  ECI ONT’s , ( this was a very early generation of kit )  , was only capable of 330Mb , but that would affect all ISPs  ,and it not going to be the issue here .

Seemingly you can get a situation where BT ( and others that use the same BTw backhaul , Plusnet and EE ) and temporarily restricted to 330Mb while the existing backhaul capacity is upgraded, basically if they initially offered 900/1800Mb  the backhaul potentially is ‘stretched’  and causes everyone a poor experience, ( connecting speed fine , throughput not so much ) this is usually a temporary thing , and the full range of speeds will become available once capacity is added , other ISP that offer faster speeds from the get go may be using a different backhaul provider to BT/PN/EE or they may not have the same attitude towards loading customers into a backhaul that’s not really ready for an influx of ‘new’ bandwidth hungry customers.

Message 7 of 21

Just checked Plusnet again and it shows 900. 

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 21

Yeah which is odd that Plusnet apparently are offering the 900 product as I thought they were using the same backhaul as BT.

As far as I know Vodafone and Sky dont, I wouldnt recommend Vodafone though, there Retail Customer Service is worse than Virgins....they are often the cheapest but its for a reason.

Anyway, you answered the question I knew you would.

The wholesale information posted shows there is a restriction, so the OP will just need to wait it out for BT?

Message 9 of 21

Thank you for joining the conversation 🙂

Does this mean that it is likely that I will be able to order the 900 at some time without the building needing to be rewired?

Sorry if I am asking a silly question, I am new to this but it is fascinating.

I wasn't sure if the cable could be of a lower specification and would need to be replaced, which would be difficult.

Regards

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 21

Just seen the extra posts ,

ONT exists with active service. A spare port may be available or a single port ONT may be swappable to a multiport ONT. A new ONT may be ordered.

The existing ONT may be ECI , so my assertion that it’s not going to be the ECI issue may be wrong , although someone would have to be extremely unlucky to be affected by this ( it’s tiny numbers in the scheme of things ) .
AFAIK, all ECI headends are now replaced but a historic ‘data’ problem, because the address was provided with a matching ECI ONT ( years ago when FTTP was provided ) restricts the speed on offer , however this should affect all ISPs  , as the limiting factor is the ECI ONT itself it can only deliver 330Mb , the ‘fix’ is pretty easy though ( although easier said than done ) that is to swap the ECI ONT out to one capable of better speed.

I suppose, if access to the address is available, check the manufacturer of the existing ONT .