cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 11 of 21

Re: BT shows different available speeds to other providers/Openreach and unsure what to order.

Thank you both for being so helpful,

I have nowhere near the understanding that you do, but if I am understanding it correctly, it is either an issue with waiting for BT to sort capacity out or an updated box required (my crude name for it but is it that grey box attached to peoples walls?). In which case there may be a solution at some point which may be time consuming but not too difficult, if access to where they are in the building is found (which the other providers would also need to do in any case). Am I in the right ballpark? 

My concern is mainly that I don't think the cabling, internally within the building, to all the flats could easily be replaced, but it would be great if this was not necessary.

I will not be moving in for a month or so. 

Thanks again

0 Ratings
Message 12 of 21

Re: BT shows different available speeds to other providers/Openreach and unsure what to order.

The box that may need replacement is the internal ONT , not the external CSP block , the ONT is the powered ‘modem’ type device that your router connects to , the CSP is the point where an external grade optical cable is ‘spliced’ to an internal optical cable that runs to the ONT .
FYI , MDU ( flats, apartments etc ) can have a different method of installation, especially if they are ‘block wired’ so all units pre fitted with FTTP before any order for service is made , so CSP etc may not exist or may be an internal type CSP ( so not the ubiquitous grey plastic block ) , and as the installation is a few years old , the chances are , the method used in 2019 isn’t what’s used in 2024 .
Message 13 of 21

The grey boxes outside are usually CSP (customer splice points), this is where the external fibre enters the property, usually the other side of this grey box inside will be an ONT (Optical Network Terminal), although the ONT can be fitted somewhere else but for arguments sake most customers do have it just on the inside wall behind/infront of the CSP.

In a block of flats I would still assume that each flat/address will have its own CPS and ONT so internal cabling is not the reason for speed limitation, its not like the flats are sharing an internal network like perhaps a halls of residence block might. It doesnt rule out that there might be some other internal splicing but each address should still be able to pull the full speed.

Personally I think a new ONT may need to be fitted, when ive moved providers in the past, each time a new ONT was installed, it might be the ONT there is old.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
BT900 | Nokia ONT | Ubiquiti ER-X | EETV Box Pro (IP Mode) | Unifi CK2 | 6x Unifi U6+ | 2x Unifi SAK Ultra
Message 14 of 21

Again, my apologies for knowing too little,

Does that mean that the 900 speed is a likely possibility, it will just take some units updating? It sound like apartment blocks could be a bit of an issue, and may be stuck with the tech at the time they were built, though i hope not.

I've been stuck on 60 Mbps for many years, and do like technology and such. I have recently become interested in the advances in cloud gaming, but a good speedy internet connection is better. I get some good results now but it can be a bit jumpy.

I know 300 is a good improvement but want more 🙂

p.s my concern over the cabling is because I had read that virgin media was attaining better speeds using newer types of cabling and thought this may be the same here, as well as the other equipment.

0 Ratings
Message 15 of 21

Optical fibre is a passive medium, there are fibres that were provided ( mainly for business 30 years ago ) that originally had an 8Mb service ( but that’s when dial up 33Kb modems were for the domestic market ) but these fibres don’t need replacement they are the ‘same’ as fibres made today and capable of astonishing speed , it’s the electronics hanging on the end of the passive network that has improved, not the fibre itself.
As stated , this 330Mb ‘limit’ may simply disappear, or it could be the address is hampered by ECI equipment fitted within the flat , but changing an ECI ONT to a Nokia , or Adtran ONT is not a difficult engineering task , how individual ISP handle a requirement to do this change may vary , but it may not be necessary anyway .

The cabling within the MDU is not going to need replacement , its  good for speeds in excess of 900/1800Mb  , or 10Gb for that matter , and if the electronics improves over time and 100’s of Gb becomes available the ‘fibre’ will still be fine .

Message 16 of 21

@HaplessUser  - I note this has not been mentioned yet but have you asked any of the other occupants what sort of connection they have?

0 Ratings
Message 17 of 21

Thank you, that is really helpful and gives me hope that it is something that can easily be resolved.

Sounds like it may be something that gets fixed naturally or that a new internal unit to the flat is required. Not sure about the grey box that is on the outside of people's houses, these must be somewhere within the building, if anything needs to be done on them.

Thank you so much for your time

0 Ratings
Message 18 of 21

I am buying the flat and viewed it twice. I haven't seen the other people who live in it but the current owner could only tell me that he gets full fibre, he doesn't need 900 so hasn't looked into upgrading to this from a fairly slow speed.

0 Ratings
Message 19 of 21

As stated MDU don’t use the same build criteria as regular housing , so there probably won’t be any ‘grey plastic CSPs’ anywhere , they are used for houses , not really for apartments.
Message 20 of 21

@HaplessUser said:

I am buying the flat and viewed it twice. I haven't seen the other people who live in it but the current owner could only tell me that he gets full fibre, he doesn't need 900 so hasn't looked into upgrading to this from a fairly slow speed.

Im not sure I could buy a property off someone who said they dont need 900Mbps......i'd look for somewhere else to live, you cannot trust these sellers. 🙂

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
BT900 | Nokia ONT | Ubiquiti ER-X | EETV Box Pro (IP Mode) | Unifi CK2 | 6x Unifi U6+ | 2x Unifi SAK Ultra
0 Ratings