cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 3

Billed twice for TNT Sports

Last summer I renewed with Sky Sports for the full package which included TNT Sports. I was assured by the Sky Sports rep that my rolling TNT Sports subcription would be cancelled and I would only be charged by them for TNT Sports.

What I didn't notice until January of this year, was that the subscription to TNT/BT Sports hadn't ended, it was rolling on at £35 a month and I hadn't noticed. 
So on Jan 3rd I contacted Sky to figure out why I'm getting charged twice, and who exactly has been providing the TNT Sports that I've been using, of course Sky is adamant that they were not at fault, and were not interested. (30minute call from my call logs)

So I call BT, explain the situation to them, and similarly they are adamant that they are not at fault and were not interested. To draw a line under the situation I instruct BT to stop the rolling TNT Sports subscription. (8 minute call from my call logs).

Last night I happened to check through my bank account and there is STILL a BT Sport bill, now for £30 pounds* coming out of my account each month.

I call up BT today, who after initially denying it's possible for Sky & BT to both be charging for the same service, now agree that it may be happening, but remain adamant that they are not at fault and will close my subsciption today.

*(The £5 less a month is because for some reason in January they ONLY cancelled the 'HD' element of the subscription but left the main subscription running).

My point is, surely after being instructed to stop the monthly TNT Sports subscription BT should refund the money they've subsequently charged me? (~£210).

The BT "guide" argues that it's been 7 months, I should have noticed they didn't cancel, and therefore I should be happy with the £30 "goodwill gesture". Which I think is rediculously unfair and have refused.

What are my options now?

0 Ratings
2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3

Re: Billed twice for TNT Sports

Sky will NOT tell BT that you are now paying them instead for a service - and vice versa. If they did tell you that Sky are at fault!

It is the customers job to cancel down any unwanted subscription - whether cancelling or transferring.

Found this in several places including Sky's own website "Already got a TNT Sports subscription? If you’re adding TNT Sports to your Sky bill instead, remember to cancel your subscription with your other provider, otherwise you'll be billed twice." (TNT Sports & TNT Sports Box Office help )

That exact wording is also in my "adding TNT Sports via Sky" confirmation email from Sky when I did just that.

I think BT should refund any payments from 30 says after your call to them - but before that I don't think you have any case. So if you cancelled on 3rd Jan you would still pay for January. So BT would own you around £150.

I think your initial arguement is with Sky if they said they would do something they don't usually so. That would cover payments from your transfer.

---------------------------------------------------------------
Fibre 2 Unlimited using EE Smart Hub 2 with EE TV Box Pro (UHD/HDR) in IP mode.
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 3

Re: Billed twice for TNT Sports

1 week update.

After 5 phonecalls to BT I'm hoping this issue is now resolved. (Actually 7 calls - two calls I was put on hold after explaining my issue and then the line went dead...)

As mentioned in my first post, the Monday BT "guide" was astonishingly indifferent and kept saying since BT had been incorrectly billing me for 7 months it was my fault. Complaint opened. £30 goodwill gesture refused. 47 minutes.

The Wednesday "guide" told me that the Monday guide had opened the complaint and then closed it 2 minutes later, an impressive investigation. He then agreed to re-open/open a new complaint and promised to have his supervisor (who was available) look into my billing issue with a call back that day. No call back occurred. 30 minutes.

The Thursday "guide" read through my file, didn't want to open another complaint when the current one was active, and emailed the supervisor to ask them to contact me. No call back occurred. 16minutes. (did get an email to say the complaint had been closed, but with no information).

The second Monday guide listened as I asked for an update on my complaint, read through the file, agreed that I had been billed incorrectly, and has arranged for a refund via cheque... 10 minutes.

It does seem like it varies significantly what the outcome of your issue will be depending on the interest/competance of the person on the other end of the phone! 

Either way, Ryan thanks for your help.

0 Ratings