cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 4

Broadband Speeds and Options

My Fibre 2 contract recently expired and due to speeds in the area / on the exchange I've had to change / downgrade my package to Fibre 1 (download speeds 22 - 36 Mbps and upload 8 - 9 Mbps). However shopping around EE and Sky are both offering much higher speeds at my address (55 - 77mbps download and 17 - 19mbps upload) - even though they are apparently "on the same exchange and can't provide higher speeds than Fibre 1".

1. So are EE and Sky offering something they can't provide and if so, how can that be right?  

Also my neighbour logging into BT as a new customer has been offered a Fibre 2 package with speeds of 47 - 70mbps download and 13 - 18mbps.

2. If BT can only provide me with Fibre 1 speeds (even though I've been on Fibre 2 ) why has my neighbour been offered Fibre 2? 

Just asking for a friend, because it's blagging my head a bit ;o) 

Cheers

0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4

Re: Broadband Speeds and Options

welcome to the BT community forum where customers help customers and only BT employees are the forum mods

in order for the forum members to help please can you post the stats from your router (if hub enter 192.168.1.254 in your browser) and if  HH5 then go to troubleshooting then helpdesk and if HH6/SH2 then advanced settings then technical log information . 

enter your phone number and post results  remember to delete number   https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/ADSL

Someone may then be able to offer help/assistance/suggestions to your problem

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Message 3 of 4

Thank-you. I suppose my basic question is can EE and Sky actually provide those speeds in my initial post and can BT provide my neighbour with those Fibre 2 speeds?

If I have done this right, the stats are:

DSL Uptime: 2 days, 6hrs 57mins

Data Rate: 10mps / 34.62 mbps

Maximum Data Rate: 18.125mps / 36.595 mbps

FTTP: Off

Noise margin: 11.3 / 7/3

Line attenuation: 9.7 / 18.0

Data sent / received: 4.5 gb uploaded / 61.6gb downloaded

This is what came up in the checker:

glossfella_0-1649326377963.png

FTTP is not available.

For all ADSL and WBC Fibre to the Cabinet (VDSL or G.fast) services, the stable line rate will be determined during the first 10 days of service usage.

Actual speeds experienced by end users and quoted by CPs will be lower due to a number of factors within and external to BT's network, Communication Providers' networks and within customer premises.

The Stop Sale date for IPstream is from 30 Nov 2012. The Formal Retirement date for IPstream is from 30 Jun 2014.

In order to be eligible for handback, downstream speed should be less than Downstream Handback Threshold values.

If you decide to place an order for a WBC fibre product, an appointment may be required for an engineer to visit the end user's premises to supply the service

Mildenhall exchange:Only single order products are available and ADSL and ADSL2+ products are not shown as available.However for premises that can only be served by SOADSL, BT will continue to accept ADSL and ADSL2+ orders until SOADSL is available.

Thank you for your interest

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 4

the checker shows expected speed range 80/60mb and that should apply to any ISP using openreach connection.  the brief stats you have posted suggest a connection problem so can you check for a dial tone on landline and if tone then dial 17070 option 2  should be silent and best with corded phone

have you tried using the test socket with a filter to see if that improves connection?

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings