cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 13

Broadband available packages

I used to work for BT/Openreach until 2019 and I had BT fibre to the cabinet which was an 80/20 package (80 Mb download, 20 Mb up). I now seem to have been downgraded and this package (equivalent to the EE fibre 67 package) is not now available at my premises for whatever reason. I would point out that BT are migrating customers on to EE and changing the phone to VoIP.

I have queried this with EE as to why the full speed is no longer available, but I'm still not certain why it is. Is it because the equipment has changed due to the removal of the copper network or is it down the the speed guarantee which maybe can no longer be met.

In any case it seems to be a backwards step if customers are having to sacrifice broadband performance so that Openreach can remove their reliance on copper lines.

Surely Ofcom should have made sure that full fibre was available to customers before EE and BT are allowed to change people over to this, what seems an inferior service.

0 Ratings
12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13

Re: Broadband available packages

What does it say for your property at: www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com

Post the results minus your address/number 

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 13

@dulci2se 

The copper lines are not being removed just the ability to make receive calls over the copper lines

It is possible that your cabinet is full and there is currently no FTTC available to you

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 4 of 13

It's certainly possible that the cabinet is full, but I don't believe so. I used to install FTTC in the area and beyond for Openreach and I have had this line for many years now...since 2002, so I'm pretty sure that the cabinet is not full, as I have worked in it, on many occasions. It's not a cabinet where there is limited access or space. One of Openreach's better cabinets. 

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 13

I have entered my number into that checker and it just says that there is no data available.

I have done a general search for my address on the Openreach website and this still shows an 80/20 package, so this is why I'm not sure why EE are not offering their top speed equivalent which is fibre 67.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 13

It's not been downgraded it's in effect the same package. The new names & speeds are part of the agreement to quote speeds which can be expected in peak times as well

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 13

There are 2 lots of copper (or aluminium in some cases) that supply the address. Copper line to the cabinet from the exchange and copper from the cabinet to the house. BT/ Openreach are disconnecting (and eventually removing) copper from the exchange to the cabinet (all copper will be removed when full fibre is available) so I'm presuming there may have been a change of broadband equipment in the exchange to supply the VoIP. BT, in their wisdom, bought equipment, some years ago, from Huawei, which had compatibility issues with their equipment at the time and of course Ofcom have restricted Openreach's changeover to VoIP. The government have also since restricted the use of Huawei equipment. I think, due to this change, this is why the speeds are no longer available.

This seems to be a backwards step, but hopefully full fibre will be available in the not too distant future.

I think that Ofcom should have insisted that BT / Openreach / EE have full fibre available to all before any changes to VoIP lines.

The communications sector is a complete mess now, as their are too many different suppliers. They use subcontractors in some cases and the quality of work they do is very poor in many instances.

When BT was privatised back in 1984, the government of the day stopped BT using cable /fibre, as they said that it was unfair competition as BT had 95% of the market. Instead of having a fully integrated telephone network now, we just have a mish-mash of different operators and a network that is a complete mess. That's what politicians do for you.

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 13

No it's not the same package as EE 67 is the equivalent package. I'm on EE 50 which is a lower speed package, but you may be partly correct in saying that the speeds cannot be guaranteed at the higher package so they don't offer it.

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 13

@dulci2se 

If you are an EE customer, then you are posting on the wrong forum, as this is the BT Retail forum.

You need to post on the EE customer forum, as that is totally separate, and have their own support teams. That is also why your number is not recognised on the broadband checker, as its not a BT number. EE have their own number ranges.

https://community.ee.co.uk/

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 13

If your number isn't working in the availability checker posted earlier then use your address & post the results & someone should be able to advise further

Also stop talking complete rubbish, no equipment will have been changed for VOIP to reduce the speed, are you sure you're an ex employee as surely they'd know that!