cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 11

Broadband+telephone credit check/bank account

Hi. Does BT run a credit check when ordering broadband and landline? I don’t have a bank account yet and I also wanted to know if BT will sell me broadband and landline without a bank account? I can pay my bill at the post office. I don’t know if I’ll pass the credit check but I’ve looked online and I’ve not seen any instances of people being declined BT broadband 

thanks 🙂

0 Ratings
10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11

Re: Broadband+telephone credit check/bank account

As far as I'm aware, your credit check will either be a pass with no restrictions or you'll have to pay a security deposit and pay by direct debit. I don't think there's any outright rejections but they may not be able to offer you a contract if you don't have a bank account.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 11

Ok thank you

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 11

I would have thought BT was way down the list of difficulties of living without a bank account.  Getting paid and engaging with DWP and HMRC must be tricky.  Old people (I am one) often have trouble doing quite ordinary things without a credit card or bank account.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 11

I’m on universal credit and my mother gets it paid into her bank account. I don’t have the necessary ID to open a bank account so struggling to get one.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 11

@DT2276 

See https://www.bt.com/broadband/home-essentials

How can I pay my BT Home Essentials bill?

You can pay your BT Bill by:

• Direct Debit
  • online (debit or credit card)
  • by phone (debit or credit card)
  • by bank transfer
  • at a PayPoint

The person paying, does not have to be the account holder.

An initial security deposit may be needed, but once a number of bills have been paid, this is normally refunded.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 11

Hi thanks for your response. Upon further reading it looks as if BT want my national insurance number which I wouldn’t feel comfortable giving out to BT.

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 11

If you want the home essentials you'll have to give your NI number, don't worry though it'll just be used to run the checks with the DWP & nothing else

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 11

Ah ok thanks, I’ll have a look into it 🙂

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 11

To answer your questions :

Q -Is a credit check done ?
A - Yes, a hard search is performed, depending on the result you might be asked to pay a deposit before services are ordered or be restricted on what you can order, for example broadband might be available but not BT TV or BT Mobile

Q - Do I need a bank account ?
A - No, you can pay manually but there is a +£2 fee for non-direct debit payments

Q - Can I apply for Home Essentials ?
A - The BT account holder (not a household member) must be in receipt of qualifying benefits listed Here 

0 Ratings