cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 11

Broadband without outgoing calls

Go to solution

Hello:

Is it possible to have broadband but not pay for any calling plans and still receive landline phone calls and still have a BT phone number.  I am curently a BT customer.

Thank you.

Ian

0 Ratings
10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11

Re: Broadband without outgoing calls

Go to solution

If you want to make or receive calls then you need to select PAYG at an additional £2pm

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 11

Go to solution

To have telephony you have to take a calls plan , the cheapest is PAYG , Standalone broadband doesn’t have a phone number so obviously cannot be used for incoming calls , ( or outgoing calls ), to keep telephony even if it were to be used for incoming calls only , the website shows it’s a difference of £5 ,
£29 for standalone broadband after the half price for 6 months offer , compared to £34 for phone and broadband with PAYG calls after the same 6 months half price offer.
So basically, if you want the ability to have a phone number and be able to answer incoming calls , and have the choice to make or not make outgoing calls , (0800 would still be ‘free’ but most others would be chargeable ) even if you never make a single outgoing call , it will cost £5

There is a suggestion that PAYG is £2 , but those that say it exist don’t qualify it , by saying it’s actually the £5 discounted to £2 , or that it’s in addition to the £5 , so £7 in total, but the website offers are clear , pick a standalone broadband package, and compare it to the line and same broadband package , which auto fills in the PAYG as standard, and its a £5 difference ….

Message 4 of 11

Go to solution

@iniltous 

I have PAYG with my broadband contract and negotiated a fee of an additional £2pm so not a fictional cost

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 5 of 11

Go to solution

Thanks for the great reply

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 11

Go to solution

I wasn’t suggesting that the £2 for PAYG wasn’t true, I am aware of £2 for PAYG being levied, but the circumstances in which it applies, and what it’s for are opaque, ( opaque to me at least ) , personally I think to charge a monthly fee  for something called Pay As You Go (PAYG ) seems to be something of a contradiction in terms , and given the website currently is showing a £5 difference between a phone/broadband bundle including PAYG  calls , and standalone broadband, arguably the £5 is the fee to provide a phone number , the ability to answer incoming calls , with the option to make calls on a PAYG basis, so that would suggest the £2 ( if it’s in addition to the £5 ) doesn’t actually provide anything ‘extra’.

On the website , the 700mins call plan is only £2.50 more than PAYG  , £7.50 instead of £5 , so if PAYG is £5 plus a then ( for no apparent reason ) an extra £2 is added , so £7 in total , then the 700mins for £7.50  plan is an absolute no brainer.

As I said , if the £5 for PAYG , which can be justified as the cost for supplying a phone service , is routinely reduced to £2 that’s great , but if someone is already paying £5 more than what their broadband would cost if it were the standalone version , and then are charged an extra £2  for PAYG calls ,  on top ( so £7 in total above the standalone broadband price )  , then that extra £2 seems to provide nothing.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 11

Go to solution

I have PAYG with my Broadband contract and I pay no fee.

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 11

Go to solution

@iniltous wrote:

On the website , the 700mins call plan is only £2.50 more than PAYG  , £7.50 instead of £5 , so if PAYG is £5 plus a then ( for no apparent reason ) an extra £2 is added , so £7 in total , then the 700mins for £7.50  plan is an absolute no brainer.

As I said , if the £5 for PAYG , which can be justified as the cost for supplying a phone service , is routinely reduced to £2 that’s great , but if someone is already paying £5 more than what their broadband would cost if it were the standalone version , and then are charged an extra £2  for PAYG calls ,  on top ( so £7 in total above the standalone broadband price )  , then that extra £2 seems to provide nothing.

I've been round this conversation before, it wasn't clear then and it isn't clear now.

It seems to depend on which way the wind is blowing and if there is an 'R' in the month as to what the price is.

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 11

Go to solution

I think PAYG is £5/m for new customers, i.e to have telephony capability added but only £2/m or £0/m for existing customers already with telephony.

The £0/2/5 being the total price.

But as said, its all as clear as mud.

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 11

Go to solution
0 Ratings