cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 6

Buy Smart Hub 2 and Wifi Disc outright - save hundreds?

Go to solution

I currently have a Fibre 2 package with patchy coverage in my house. BT are quoting approx £15 per month to 'upgrade' to Smarthub 2 with a Wifi disc. That's £180 a year. You can but a boxed unused Smarthub 2 and Wifi disc for £40 on Ebay. Can i not just plug all that in and save £15 a month? What am I missing? 

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6

Re: Buy Smart Hub 2 and Wifi Disc outright - save hundreds?

Go to solution

@bpayer 

Welcome to this user forum for BT Retail phone and broadband customers.

Both items were only loaned to the seller, unless they had purchased them retail, so I would be very wary, as I would expect BT to have a record of the serial numbers.

Also some of the discs being sold are the white Whole Home ones, which are not compatible with the Smart Hub 2 unless you buy at least two of them.

BT will eventually send you a Smart Hub 2 for free, when you are moved to BT Digital Voice.

Meanwhile, you may wish to consider a third party wireless mesh system, which can be used with any BT hub. The TP Link Deco series work well, and are quite popular.

The other option would be to use wireless hotspot units, to give coverage in specific areas.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 6

Go to solution

Hi @bpayer 

As long as you buy a seller owned SH2 & Complere WiFi disc, then there should be no problem. I’m not sure about the setup procedure, and if BT turn on the Your WiFi network service in the MyBT App. I have a loaned SH2, but own outright 3 WiFi discs so don’t pay the Complete WiFi subscription. However I do have the WiFi network service as I was part of the initial trial.  Just be aware, not to buy BT owned equipment off eBay.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 6

Go to solution

Thanks Keith

When you say BT will send me a SmartHub 2 for 'free', does that mean my monthly charge stays the same? I do not need or want digital voice and I will not spend a penny more

Is it worth getting a Smart Hub 2 for improved performance, or will my existing Smart Hub 1 be fine with a decent Mesh thingammy? 

Thanks 

Tags (1)
0 Ratings
Message 5 of 6

Go to solution

If you want to keep a phone service, then you will have to move to BT Digital Voice, and that requires the Smart Hub 2, which BT will supply for free, in order for you to continue your phone service.

If you do not need a phone service, then you can opt for a broadband only package, and use any suitable router.

There is nothing to gain by using the Smart Hub 2, and you lose the ability to separate the 2.5 and 5G wireless bands.

Message 6 of 6

Go to solution

Thank you Keith - appreciate the advice

0 Ratings