cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 7

Buying empty home - do I need to cancel anything?

Go to solution

We've bought a rural home which has been unoccupied for a year or more. We're going to use starlink for now as the broadband speeds in the area are really terrible.

Do we need to inform BT that we won't be using any of their services? Do we need to do anything at all RE BT?

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7

Re: Buying empty home - do I need to cancel anything?

Go to solution

are you an existing BT broadband and phone customer and if so are you still in a fixed term contract.  if still in contract you could have cancellation fees but only if you are able to get BT broadband at your new home.  if BT cannot provide any service then there should be no cancellation fees

you need to contact BT about move

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 7

Go to solution

We're not moving to the house, we don't have BT contracts anywhere

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 7

Go to solution

Hi@epicedium73 You would only need to contact BT if you intended to take BT services. 

Neil

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 7

Go to solution

If not a BT customer then why are you posting on the community forum for BT Retail customers?

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 6 of 7

Go to solution

There’s BT equipment in the house and a dial tone. There’s old correspondence between the former owner and BT but nothing within last 6 months.

I’m not (yet) a customer of the energy supplier either but I’m expected to inherit a relationship with them. So I want to make sure I’m not doing the same with BT.

Sounds like I can just unhook the phone and forget about it? RTS if they send post to previous owner?

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 7

Go to solution

@epicedium73 on a stopped line you might get what's called a soft dial tone that will allow you to call 999 if needed but the line will not allow you to make any other calls.

There is no need to contact BT if you don't want service from us.

Thanks

Neil