cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 4

Can I cancel without early termination fees?

Hi,

I just got the email about price increases. It's strangely worded so i'm unsure if I can cancel without early termination charges or not.

It says:

"We want to let you know we will be changing your terms from 31 March 2022 which means the price of some of your products and services will change every year on or after 31 March. Some products and services will remain on your existing terms in line with the Consumer Price Index (CPI) rate of inflation published in January, which this year is 5.4% and others will increase in line with CPI plus 3.9%. To make things easier, we’ve calculated how your bill will be affected below."

So wouldn't the products that include the extra 3.9% increase, mean I can cancel the contract?

At the bottom it says:

"Landline and Mobile calls- BT Landline and BT Mobile services (including most rental and call prices and the cost of calling or texts to EU countries) will increase on or after 31 March each year from March 2022 by CPI plus 3.9%. "

As landline was just part of the original contract (Didn't have a choice to choose it or not, it just came with the broadband), it also just shows "Broadband package" on the bill, does this mean I can cancel free of charge?

Although the price of the broadband package itself is only increasing by the standard CPI, the extra landline calls will be changing by CPI + 3.9% and both landline and broadband is linked.

The reason for confusion is because at the end of the email it says:

"You don’t have to do anything, but all out of contract services are outside of any minimum terms. We'd hate to say goodbye but this means you can cancel these services without early termination charges. You’ll continue to be charged during your notice period, but you won’t be charged for any increase in price during that time."

This makes the reader think it's only out of contract services that can be cancelled free of charge, but I thought if you increase the price above CPI during the year, then the customer can cancel, without early termination fees? Or does this exclude landline call charges?

For reference, my contract ends in July for Broadband & Landline.

0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4

Re: Can I cancel without early termination fees?

@scottrc 

You can only cancel any services which are out of contract before 31st March 2022, if you want to avoid cancellation charges.

In your case you would not be able to do that until July, so you will still be subject to the price increase, which is part of the T&Cs.

Unless someone else read it differently.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 4

@scottrc 

"You don’t have to do anything, but all out of contract services are outside of any minimum terms. We'd hate to say goodbye but this means you can cancel these services without early termination charges. You’ll continue to be charged during your notice period, but you won’t be charged for any increase in price during that time."

did it mention any services you can cancel as in my letter it specifically says which services can be cancelled without termination penalties.  of course if no services mention then that suggests you don't have any services which you can cancel without termination penalties

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 4 of 4

@scottrc Thanks for posting, as @imjolly has mentioned the notification will tell you if the service is in or out of contract. This is shown just above the service description. 

Thanks

Neil

0 Ratings