cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 6

Cancel BT Contract - my Mum's moved into a Care Home

Go to solution

Hello.

I'm posting this on behalf of my 94 year old Mum for whom I have Power of Attorney.

Sadly she has recently had to move into a Nursing Home permanently due to severe illness. To help pay for this my brother & I are trying to save on costs which includes her £80/month BT broadband package which we'd like to cancel, or at least drastically downgrade, since the house is now unoccupied.

Yesterday I rang the loyalty team & explained the situation hoping there'd be an exception to the hefty early termination costs of around £300 but was told this was not possible unless the customer is dead. Disingenuously they did offer me the chance to switch the account to my name for a 24 month basic package at £30/month but only when I probed further details did I realise this meant it couldn't be cancelled when my Mum dies since it was in my name.

I've not had this problem with other utility suppliers & my Mum's been a very loyal BT customer since we first had a landline at home in the 1960s. Surely it's possible under these circumstances  for a cancellation without an early termination penalty?

Can you advice on how this could be done on compassionate grounds?

Thank-you for any help you can offer.

Kind Regards, Andrew

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6

Re: Cancel BT Contract - my Mum's moved into a Care Home

Go to solution

I have asked the forum mods who are BT employees to help  they will post here

you should be able to cancel free under circumstances

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Message 3 of 6

Go to solution

Hi @Wynn1929 and welcome to our community.

I'm sorry to hear your mum is unwell and you're having problems cancelling her account. I can help. I'll need some details so check your inbox for my message and drop me a reply.

Cheers

David

Message 4 of 6

Go to solution

@Wynn1929 

Your last post today contained personal information, so I have removed it from public view, so it can be edited by a moderator, who will also read what you have posted.

Message 5 of 6

Go to solution

Sorry about that but i'm frustrated that the people on the phone aren't helping me.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 6

Go to solution

@Wynn1929 

Hopefully this can be resolved. It may be because you put the account in your name instead of actually cancelling it.

Only a moderator can look into this. One of them should pick up your message, as they can still view it.