cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 9

Charged more than a new customer

Why do BT always charge me more than they offer for a new customer even after I’ve been with them for over 15 years?

last time it was on mobile and I had to look at going else where and now that FTTP has been installed in the area they want online £35 or even £5 more when I call than they offer it to new customers online!!

uou would have thought customer loyalty would be rewarded not punished, or is this just cause I’ve been tied in for another 12 plus month and have no choice but to stick with them and slow internet or pay extra.

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9

Re: Charged more than a new customer

Incentives will always attract new customers, it’s just one of those things. It’s a competitive market.
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 9

TBH, it’s not just BT , many if not most offer incentives to new customers to join, however depending on what products you take with BT, they do offer a guarantee that the renewal will be as good as the new customers deals at the time, or you call and try to negotiate a better deal, a retention deal may be even better than a new customer offer, you won’t know unless you try.

Message 4 of 9

Is your contract due for renewal shortly? If so have you had notification from BT and renewal contract offers?

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 5 of 9

Hi, didn’t realise about the guarantee that Bt offers for certain packages, can you let me know where I can find this online as I am due to renew my contract shortly. Many thanks, Carolyn

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 9

Log on to MyBT web site & see if you have this:

rbz5416_0-1655116995870.png

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 9

@carolyngysemanwrote:

Hi, didn’t realise about the guarantee that Bt offers for certain packages, can you let me know where I can find this online as I am due to renew my contract shortly. Many thanks, Carolyn

When I renewed as Halo 1 I received an e-mail which includes -

"Our Price Promise : Your bill won’t suddenly go up when your contract ends. Plus, you’ll never pay more than a new customer."

I shall simply quote that if they do try to charge me more at the next renewal. I suspect the promise leaves BT with some wriggle room  depending on how they interpret the price to a new customer.

Worth checking your e-mail history for something similar.

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 9

What you may find is happening is that when you take out a fixed term contract you will probably have received a "discount" on the "normal" broadband package price because you agreed to a fixed term contract.

When this fixed term contract ends you lose the "discount" that you were given and the original full price of the broadband package then applies and it is this price that you would pay should you not enter into another fixed term contract.

This will invariably appear to be higher than a "new" customer would pay because BT show the price that a "new" customer will get when the discount is applied to the fixed term contract and not how much it will cost when the fixed term contract runs out. 

If you have decided to renew your broadband package and enter into a new fixed term contract you will be given a discount on the full price of the broadband package for doing so and if you are not automatically given it you should ask for a discount and this should be on a par with what a new customer gets.

Check the small print "The monthly price for your broadband plan will increase each year from March 2022 by the rate of inflation (the Consumer Price Index rate, published in January each year) plus 3.9%. See bt.com/prices for details. All prices shown are in contract prices. Prices after 24 months increase by up to £8, if you don’t recontract".

Message 9 of 9

@GeoffSmithwrote:

When I renewed as Halo 1 I received an e-mail which includes -

"Our Price Promise : Your bill won’t suddenly go up when your contract ends. Plus, you’ll never pay more than a new customer."

I shall simply quote that if they do try to charge me more at the next renewal. I suspect the promise leaves BT with some wriggle room  depending on how they interpret the price to a new customer.

Worth checking your e-mail history for something similar.

This applies only to Halo promotions, other offers without Halo benefits can be cheaper.

0 Ratings