cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 3

Dubious e-mail, ostensibly from Openreach

Go to solution

I'm a BT customer, FTTC reliably giving 55/18, and have no need for FTTP, let alone any wish to go through the hassle of having full fibre installed.

Today I received an e-mail with Subject "You can order Ultrafast Full Fibre broadband today", ostensibly from #WeAreOpenreach<info@info.openreach.co.uk>, inviting me to "... order it right now. It's as easy pushing the button." I've checked the Headers, which seem to be genuine, but still find the e-mail suspicious.
1) Any e-mail which contains non-alphanumeric characters in the Subject line or From address raises doubts.
2) There have been many postings on this forum stating that Openreach does not deal with customers directly. So, why have I received this from Openreach rather than BT?
3) There is a link labelled "Order Now", which I cannot check because Gmail obfuscates all links. Why would I want to use this link anyway when I am an existing BT customer?
4) Likewise I cannot check the "unsubscribe" link - I didn't subscribe to receiving e-mails from Openreach anyway!
5) Whilst I have no objection to Openreach (if indeed the e-mail is from them) having my name and e-mail address I do think it questionable whether it is proper for BT to have given them my details (if they did).
At very least this is a very poor way of promoting Full Fibre when it raises suspicions.
Is it a genuine e-mail?

0 Ratings
2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3

Re: Dubious e-mail, ostensibly from Openreach

Go to solution

Probably not. Any emails inviting an upgrade would come from your ISP rather than Openreach who aren't customer facing. I'd imagine this is a poor phishing attempt..

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 3

Re: Dubious e-mail, ostensibly from Openreach

Go to solution

On reflection I've decided to forward it to   report@phishing.gov.uk where all the other junk goes.

0 Ratings