cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 8

ERROR on Credit File - Preventing Mortgage

Really need some support in how to resolve an ERROR that has arisen on my credit file from BT stating I defaulted on Payments for a YEAR! I have been back through, this never existed. Nothing in my account verifies this. It an error. Now I need to apply for a mortgage and this is preventing an otherwise spotless record. How can I get this resolved, knowing nothing about these payments!? Can someone please help as a matter or urgency!

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8

Re: ERROR on Credit File - Preventing Mortgage

@ScottR1987 

Welcome to this user forum for BT Retail phone and broadband customers.

The first thing you need to do is raise a dispute with either Equifax, Experian or Transunion, depending on who the debt is with. You can do that at 

• Online at www.equifax.co.uk/ask
  • Call 0800 014 2955
  • Address – Equifax Ltd
    • Customer Service Centre
    • PO Box 10036
    • Leicester
    • LE3 4FS

or 

• Online at www.experian.co.uk
  • Call 0344 481 8000
  • Address - Experian Headquarters Talbot House
    • Talbot Street
    • Nottingham
    • N80 1TH

or

• Online at www.transunion.co.uk
    • Call 0330 024 7574
    • Address - Consumer Services Team
      • TransUnion
      • PO Box 647
      • Unit 4
      • Hull
      • HU9 9QZ

They'll then liaise with BT for you.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 8

I have raised this with Experian via a link on the website but that phone number doesn't work for anything other than requesting a copy of my report. I need to speak with someone to emphasise the urgency of this. This is preventing me from getting my mortgage! Who is the best person to speak with at BT.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 8

@ScottR1987 

This is just a customer to customer help forum, everyone here, including myself, are just customers.

The only BT Employees are the forum moderators. They may respond here, but they may not be able to help.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 8

Hi @ScottR1987,

Thank you for posting and welcome to the Community. The quickest way to have your Credit File corrected is to raise a dispute using the information @Keith_Beddoe has posted.

With regards to the default do you still have an active BT Account and does the default relate to that account?

If the account has been closed when did that close?

Thanks,

Paddy

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 8

No, we don't have an account, nor to my knowledge have we ever had an account. It says on the report this dates back to 2013! We have not used any BT service in that time.
0 Ratings
Message 7 of 8

Hi @ScottR1987 

Thanks for posting, BT does have a Disputes Team who can investigate this but they only deal directly with credit reference agencies, I can see you mentioned you called the number on the Experian website which only offers audio or braille copies of your report. I found this number on there it might get you through to a person if that helps:

0800 013 8888

They will raise or may already have raised this into BT And deal directly with the Disputes team.

Try the number above and if still no joy I have sent you a private message asking for details to see if we can help or at least nudge it for you.

Thanks

Stuart

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 8

This seems to be an ongoing issue for many off us did you get any resolution as no one at BT seems to have an answer default appeared a year ago in my credit report from a bt account at a property i left 18 years ago ! Given the Horizon scandle you think they would be more proactive to find  the issue. Was the issue with transunion?

0 Ratings