cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 6

Elderly mum never had internet

Go to solution

Don’t really know where to start so bear with me… I’m already set up with BT and I’m happy with everything but my mum (lives separately) is 87 years old, she has a Housephone and sky tv but no internet … she doesn’t use laptop, computer etc but loves her tv and in the last 6 months or so was following walking dead avidly (yes she is 87 and loves watching the zombies 🤷‍♀️) anyway she was gutted that it moved to Disney channel (from fox) but was adamant that she wouldnt /couldn’t afford to add on the Disney Channel so misses it now… more recently (today) she’s now gutted again as she has followed neighbours since the day it started to the day it finished last month.., today they announced its coming back on freevee (amazon) in June an( bless her ) thought that she could get the channel but after explaining that she would need internet she’s happy to do this but we don’t know what’s best as prices are high and she only has her pension so I’m wondering if I could set something up via BT but very basic that allows her to watch these channels (even if it’s only freevee) so I was thinking fire stick but not sure how to go about sorting internet for her to watch the fire stick? Bare in mind she currently thinks that internet can ‘watch or hear’ her so she’s a bit dubious, hence why I need tech advice for a basic connection just for fire stick thanks all. 

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6

Re: Elderly mum never had internet

Go to solution

Does your mother qualify for home essentials 

https://www.bt.com/exp/broadband/home-essentials?s_cid=con_bt_dg-home_awin_aff_vidAJM_110483-Editori...

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 6

Go to solution

Thanks for reply… unfortunately not she only gets state pension 

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 6

Go to solution

You can buy a 4G modem for a one-off cost of around £50 and around £10 or £15 a month after that for a data only SIM.

The snag there being that she would have to switch it on only when she wants to watch her program and then turn it off immediately afterwards otherwise she will find herself going through the data pretty quickly

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 6

Go to solution

Have you checked with SKY for broadband as they appear to offering good broadba:d deals especially for existing sky customers

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 6 of 6

Go to solution

Thanks for your reply Les Gibson, 

she wouldn’t stop and think to switch off/on so yes her data wouldn’t last 5 minutes. It’s an awkward one really, think I might just sign her up to bt broadband and see how she goes