cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 7

Elderly parents moved out of flooded home - contract on hold or downgraded?

Hi.

My parents are in their 80's, and have just moved to a BT broadband package costing them £31 per month. Ten days ago their bungalow was flooded and everything ruined. They have been rehoused and will be out for 6-9 months and so don't need their contract at present. They phoned and have been told they will need to spend £207 for 6 months service they don't need, or much more to cancel the contract completely.

Is there any way that they can either

a) put the contract on hold for 6 months until they move back into the house?

or

b) downgrade the contract so that they are only paying a minimum retainer.

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7

Re: Elderly parents moved out of flooded home - contract on hold or downgraded?

If BT can not help, contact their Insurance Company and advise them that BT won't put the contract on hold and that the Insurance will need to meet the expense. The Insurance company will probably not wish to pay out that money and contact BT to see if something can be done.

Meanwhile I have notified the moderators of the forum about your problem. Once they have read this they may be able to help. They will advise you by posting on this thread.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 7

Sorry this is not really a proper solution but may help.

What does the place they are moving into for 6-9 months have in terms of BB? If it already has BB could it be cancelled? Could their BB be moved to the new location, then moved back when they move back (assuming of course they want BB in the short term place)?

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 7

Hi @g00sey

Welcome and thanks for your post!

I am sorry to learn about your Parent's house flooding recently.  I can only imagine the stress this must be causing them.  We can pick up the complaint and look into it from here.  We are very busy at the moment and will be back in touch as soon as we possibly can.

I have sent you a private message with instructions on how you can send us over your details and we'll look into this for you. See: Private messages

Thanks,

Robbie

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 7

I like your thinking and thankyou for your reply.
Sadly the new accomodation already has great wifi provided, its part of a larger house, so I don't think they would want to cancel it.
0 Ratings
Message 6 of 7

Thanks Robbie, I will respond to your pm directly.
0 Ratings
Message 7 of 7

Thankyou for your wisdom. I'll speak to the insurers as well.
This is distressing enough without them worrying about their broadband bill.
0 Ratings