cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 15

Elderly relative switched from Sky to BT but still be billed for Sky TV packages

I have an elderly relative (aged 79 at the time) who was won over to BT TV because of their competitive pricing.  Last June (2023) she phoned up BT and explained that she was with Sky for her TV, phone, and broadband.  The BT customer service presentative told her that they would do all the work in switching her over to BT.  Her primary reason for switching to BT was the TV, but the switch also included the phone and broadband which was happy to do. 

I only found out this month that Sky has still been charging her for the TV packages, which is now represents a sum of about £1,100.  This has been a great shock to her as she was told that everything about the switch would be taken care of by BT. In my own research I discovered that the Ofcom 'one-touch switch' doesn't include TV packages. 

What I find troubling is how the BT representative hasn't explained to this elderly woman that she needed to contact Sky and cancel the TV package herself.  This has caused a lot of distress in an elderly person, not to mention being at a loss of about £1100 for a service she no longer receives.  

Can anyone in BT help explain how such a treatment of elderly customer can be permitted and what can be done to rectify the losses she has incurred?

Thank you in advance. 

0 Ratings
14 REPLIES 14
Message 2 of 15

Re: Elderly relative switched from Sky to BT but still be billed for Sky TV packages

@Frankie8 

This is just a customer to customer help forum, everyone here, including myself, are just customers.

The only BT Employees are the forum moderators.

BT would have cancelled the Sky broadband, but Sky TV is totally different, and could still continue without broadband. 

Your relative would have needed to call Sky to cancel the TV service, which would have nothing to do with BT.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 15

Re: Elderly relative switched from Sky to BT but still be billed for Sky TV packages

"BT would have cancelled the Sky broadband, but Sky TV is totally different, and could still continue without broadband.

Your relative would have needed to call Sky to cancel the TV service, which would have nothing to do with BT."

When an elderly woman contacts BT about switching her Sky TV package, which did when she ordered the BT TV package; why didn't the BT customer service representative explain to her that she would need to cancel the Sky TV package herself?

BT helpfully switched the phone, the broadband, and signed her up for BT TV, but they don't tell her that she has to cancel the Sky TV herself, so how can BT not have any responsibility?

Are some BT customer service representatives deliberately misleading elderly customers?
0 Ratings
Message 4 of 15

If the switch happened in June 2023 I can't understand how your relative did not notice the significant DD going to SKY each month when all SKY contract was thought to have ceased 

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 5 of 15

"If the switch happened in June 2023 I can't understand how your relative did not notice the significant DD going to SKY each month when all SKY contract was thought to have ceased"

You clearly haven't dealt with the elderly before. When someone says that everything is taken care of, they assumed that this is the case. This is why elderly customers should be treated with more care and attention, something which is lacking in this case, and maybe many others.
0 Ratings
Message 6 of 15

Although it’s unfortunate, your claim BT are responsible for your relative continuing to pay Sky for TV after joining BT because BT said they would do ‘all the work’ in switching , is not really fair, that statement only ever applies to broadband and telephone, your suggestion that it was deliberately stated that it included TV begs the question, why ? ,  in what way would  BT or the BT agent possibly benefit ? , the organisation that benefited, if any , is Sky .

You can only speculate what was actually said  ( you were not on the call ) and TBH , even putting the tiniest amount of thought into it should have  identified a big problem, if your relative has Sky TV , either delivered via a satellite dish or over the internet , how could ‘BT’ possibly stop a direct debit to Sky from your relatives bank account ? …..broadband and phone are different in that they both ( in your relatives case ) are delivered over the same Openreach infrastructure, so in switching to BT , Sky are notified that BT are taking ‘control’ of the Openreach ‘line’ , and doubtless Sky will have sent a communication along the lines of ‘sorry to see you leave’  to your relative , including instructions if they didn’t want the migration to proceed,  Sky send this when they were notified of the migration by Openreach ,  this is only ever the broadband and phone , TV has nothing to do with Openreach.

If your relative has paid £1100 in around 8 -9 months , that presumably is quite a comprehensive TV package including sport and movies , as it’s well over £100 a month , didn’t they notice that the Sky TV continued delivering all the channels they had previously, if anything depending on how Sky originally billed for three services ( phone , broadband and TV ) reducing to one service ( TV ) then the payment to Sky reduced, why wasn’t it noticed that it didn’t reduce to zero rather than reducing from presumably something like £130 a month to £100 a month .

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 15

@Frankie8 wrote:
"If the switch happened in June 2023 I can't understand how your relative did not notice the significant DD going to SKY each month when all SKY contract was thought to have ceased"

You clearly haven't dealt with the elderly before. When someone says that everything is taken care of, they assumed that this is the case. This is why elderly customers should be treated with more care and attention, something which is lacking in this case, and maybe many others.

I am a septuagenarian and take offence at your comment about the elderly and they are incapable of making decisions

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Message 8 of 15

@Frankie8 You clearly haven't dealt with 'the elderly' if you think that everyone in their seventies is gaga and can't deal with anything.

I'm in my seventies and take exception to your stereotyping and attitude.

Message 9 of 15

@iniltous

While your response in comprehensive in how things are supposed to happen, you're deliberately missing the point of the post. This is post is about an elderly person who was misled by BT into believing that she didn't have to do anything about the switch. The fact that you don't acknowledge my relative as being elderly, only highlights how BT are trying to coverup their responsibilities when dealing with elderly people.

You're correct in that I wasn't on the call. Since you seemed to know everything, does BT keep a recording of such calls? If they do, how would I get access to such a recording?

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 15

@Frankie8 

This is just a customer to customer help forum, everyone here, including myself, are just customers.

The only BT Employees are the forum moderators.

Try calling 0330 1234 150

0 Ratings