cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 11 of 19

Re: Expiring BT Landline and Broadband contract.

Ive always contraxted with Unlimited Anytime calls for which i then used to pay an additional monthly charge of about £7 but naturally this increased over time. Sometime in the last two years i had a phone call from sales offering me 700 minutes, as according to their records this would be more suited to my needs based on their records, which it has been. I currently pay about £124/quarter.

This deal is no longer available to new or recontracting customers.

0 Ratings
Message 12 of 19

But i would not be a recontracting customer would I with a rolling monthly contract? 

0 Ratings
Message 13 of 19

It's really horses for courses.  Gone are the days when having a fixed landline and telephone number upped your credit score and, if you have a mobile phone with a good signal, then ditching the landline will save you a few quid each month.  I keep mine as I invested in Digital Voice phones when the service became available to me.  I'm at home for most of the day and family and friends call me on my landline by default.  I also dial out using it but don't use anything like all of my 700 minutes each month.  My EE mobile comes with unlimited minutes and texts so at the moment it seems I have the best of both worlds.  BT bill is £20 something a month and I pay EE a tenner a month.

0 Ratings
Message 14 of 19

The trouble with mobile phones is that, unlike a landline, they can fail usually requiring very frequent charging and transferring all one's contacts between new phones can be a bit of a chore and that's not forgetting the often poor calling quality of these devices. At home, I'd much rather phone people using my landline phone. 

0 Ratings
Message 15 of 19

Adding DV to my broadband was £2 a month , some pay more , it’s possible that some pay less ( maybe even £0 ) so in my case I pay around 7p a day to maintain my ‘landline’ phone service , it’s worth it ( for me ) to have an alternative way to be contacted , the number may well be known to some people that don’t know my mobile number , and although the ‘landline’ is rarely called and never used for outgoing calls , it’s a relatively small sum and for that reason I chose to maintain it ….obviously some will take a different view and decide that the £24 a year ( or whatever ) is saving well worth making ….its a bit pointless having a view on others that don’t take the same view as yourself , surely the entire point is it’s not compulsory, don’t want DV , don’t take it ,
Message 16 of 19

Exactly - some people will see some value in it. Others, like me, don’t and would rather not pay for something we have no use for. As I said, having a ‘landline’ number counts for nothing nowadays.

As for phones failing, we have two mobiles in the house so that is not a real issue either, and I don’t expect a DECT phone would be any more reliable than a mobile anyway.

0 Ratings
Message 17 of 19

@HHGTTGwrote:

transferring all one's contacts between new phones can be a bit of a chote 

Really? When you get a new mobile you can automatically transfer everything from one mobile to the other. Don't think you can do that on a landline handset

0 Ratings
Message 18 of 19

@HHGTTGwrote:

The trouble with mobile phones is that, unlike a landline, they can fail usually requiring very frequent charging and transferring all one's contacts between new phones can be a bit of a chore and that's not forgetting the often poor calling quality of these devices. At home, I'd much rather phone people using my landline phone. 

I find this post a bit odd. Having had  countless mobile phones since the brick-sized NEC 9A in 1988,  I've only ever had one "fail". That was only a headphone jack & had nothing to do with making/receiving calls. I take it you haven't seen the many, many posts about BT DECT/DV phones failing due to battery degradation?

Charging? Yes, most smartphones have short battery life, but that is solved by charging overnight at your bedside. Old style feature phones are still available cheaply & can maintain a charge for days.

Contacts on a smartphone are generally stored in the cloud & restored to a new phone simply by signing in. Transferring contacts to a new landline phone however is generally a chore.

Call quality is at least on par with the very best BT or others can provide, certainly head & shoulders above the horrible BT 8500 I have. So again I don't recognise this criticism.

But each to their own...

0 Ratings
Message 19 of 19

Precisely or is that exactly?
Anyway, I also have two Samsung smart phones with different providers, O2 and 1p Mobile. I would like to upgrade at least one of these phones both of which are probably 6 years old but present day phones seem huge in comparison and therefore don't fit my shirt  breast pockets. I certainly don't wont virtually 'phablet' sized Smartphones that are very difficult to store on one's self.

Anyway, isn't this thread going a trifle off topic? Not for me to decide, of course!

0 Ratings