cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 6

Fake orders on my BT Account

Last week I had to call to say that an order for Broadband had been place on my account and it was not me that placed it. The call handler cancelled the order stating it had been placed on my account in error. 

Today I have received notice of another order on my account despite the fact that I have not placed it. I have just queued for 30 mins to get this order cancelled. 

Is anyone else having random orders placed on their accounts?

Does BT have no data protection policies in place to prevent wrong account selection?

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6

Re: Fake orders on my BT Account

@Amatt1 

Welcome to this user forum for BT Retail phone and broadband customers.

BT would not call you about that sort of thing, so its almost certainly a phishing attempt. I hope you did not provide any personal information. If you did, then that is the most likely cause of the real order being placed.

See https://www.bt.com/help/security/scams

Message 3 of 6

Hi there Keith, it was not a call, it was an email from BT and I called them on their 0800 number, didn’t use a link, and they have now cancelled the order. I gave them no financial details or passwords.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 6

If you haven't already, I'd recommend you change your BTID password. If a third-party has gotten access to these details, they'd be able to place orders from your online account by simply logging in.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 6

@Amatt1 

Are you sure it was not someone trying to takeover your line? This can happen if someone places an order with a provider, and gives the wrong address?

Anyway, change your password as a precaution as @He-Man  has said.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 6

Thanks for the advice and I've changed my password as you advised.
The only time I seem to get to talk to a BT advisor with any capability is when I call the new sales team! ironic right!
0 Ratings