cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 7

Fibre Broadband Package Upgrade

Coming to end of current contract, taking the opportunity to choose a different package, but somewhat confused about why I need an engineer visit and what they need to do.

The package I have chosen is listed as "Fibre Broadband with Halo 3" with download speed of 74MB, upload 20MB.  I was unable to get this package without booking an engineer.

My understanding is that "Fibre Broadband" is FTTC, unlike "Full Fibre" which is fibre to the property.  My current package is also FTTC.  So what does an engineer need to do?

I have deliberately not chosen Full Fibre because I believe I need to have power sockets and router near the entry point of the fibre into the house.  The house layout means this is difficult - the entry point of the fibre would be nowhere near where I actually need the router (nor near any power sockets).

So...a call to BT.  I was told that in some areas BT are removing copper entirely and even though I haven't opted for a FTTP package, they will still bring fibre to the house - hence the engineer visit.

Does that therefore mean that I will need to meet the full fibre requirements of having power and router close to the fibre entry to the house?

The BT customer services lady didn't know and simply advised that if the engineer turned up and it didn't work out  I can just cancel the whole order - which isn't overly helpful.

Can anyone shed any light?

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7

Re: Fibre Broadband Package Upgrade

@martinb14 

Welcome to this user forum for BT Retail phone and broadband customers.

Possibly in a copper "stop sell" area.

Use the address checker for your address, on the link below, and post the results, but edit out your address details first.

https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/ADSL

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 7

Here's the result using the address checker

martinb14_0-1697127970762.png

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 7

It says FTTP priority exchange, so that is most likely the reason, you are being given FTTP.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 7

@Keith_Beddoe Thanks!

I presume the implication is that I will have to have power sockets available near the location where the fibre enters the house, and that the router will also need to be close to this entry point?

(I fear I know what the answer will be!)

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 7

If you read other posts, there is some leeway on the distance, as a longer fibre run is possible.

Look for posts by @iniltous 

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 7

As stated , FTTP his available , so any ‘change’ you request will come with a change to FTTP , you could remain, for the medium term on FTTC but only by continuing on your current deal on an out of contract basis ( outside a minimum term ) but this may be at an uncompetitive price ,

TBH , if your preference is for the the ONT to be somewhere different to where the NTE master socket is , that probably could be doable if an external cable on wall route exists from where the duct appears externally to where you want the ONT ( for example duct entry at front , ONT required at rear in a bedroom semi or detached house ) , but extensive internal cabling would probably be rejected by the installer.

You  could always provide your own Ethernet connection from the location of the ONT if it’s to be near the NTE , ( it still needs power ) to where you would like to place the router.

0 Ratings