cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 12

Got the keys but no broadband

Hi all,

I’m in abit of a situation here. I just rented a flat and got the keys today, however I noticed that not a single provider gives broadband to the flat.

Comparison sites show the best deals etc, however when I click the link then go to the provider’s site, it tells me that no broadband is available for this address. I managed to even call them to check but was the same issue.

I spoke to a lovely agent from BT and he told me that there is Fiber in the box near my flat, asked me to inform the estate agent to contact the landlady to pay £160 for installation by open reach. Which I did but not heard a word from the estate agent yet even after chasing them none stop. Now this is important as I work from home and need a decent speed.

There are few sockets for open reach in the flat but BT said I can only get 2MBps for £46 per month? That’s the only available option right now. I asked my neighbours about this and most of them have virgin media, however, virgin media is more useless as all I get from them is (Sorry you can’t get VM in that flat, bye).

any advise please? As I’m stressed out fully about this and might cost me my job!

0 Ratings
11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12

Re: Got the keys but no broadband

try entering your address and post results (I assume you don't have a phone number)  this will show what is available to you

https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/ADSL

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Message 3 of 12

Thanks @imjolly 

I was just about to post that same link and you beat me to it 🙂

@Archerman Enter your address details there and let us know how you get on.

Thanks,

Robbie

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 12

Thank you so much guys, here are the screenshots:

F22668CD-2371-4962-926F-7784AA17257A.png

C6F3DCCE-788C-461B-A134-8792C675C9F2.png

5475FEA9-75A5-417D-9126-67EA58F29444.png

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 12

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 12

As you can see from the results there is no fibre connections available to you from your cabinet

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 7 of 12

Thank you but sadly that’s not the case my postcode is TW15 2DU...*Edited*

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 12

So Ashford Middlesex not Ashford Kent.

https://www.telecom-tariffs.co.uk/codelook.htm?xid=1494490&postcodedet=TW152DU

There is FTTP in that area, so it may be worth asking the FTTP helpdesk, as it does not always show on the availability checker.

TW15 2DU   Convent Road   Ashford, Middlesex   779m   ADSL   ADSL2+   FTTP from 21st December 2012, FTTP on Demand   69% area NGA, 69% area up to 1GB P34 100% are
0 Ratings
Message 9 of 12

There is an address on the same postcode as you that has WBC FTTP availability , but that address appears to be a ‘regular’ single dwelling unit ( basically a house ) , if you live in a flat/apartment that is part of  a MDU ( multi dwelling unit ) complex , as opposed to a convert house made into flats,  these can be deliberately omitted from the OR FTTP rollout , due to the complexity of provision.

MDU’s can need permissions from the , freeholder , building owners , letting agents etc,etc,  who sometimes just refuse to allow any work, or want an unrealistic payment for allowing any work , or the building itself may not lend itself to a retro fit of internal fibre cabling, no risers between floors , no false ceilings , no common utility type area  to bring an external cable into the ground floor , and so often they are simply bypassed.

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 12

Thank you all.

What should I do in this case? Should I link the estate agent this topic? Is there a number I can directly call for the FTTP helpline? 

I am seriously desperate and have no idea what to do or where to go, the estate agent seem to completely avoid me at this point as they got their money and don’t care anymore.

My job is on the line here and I am seriously stressing out 😞 

0 Ratings