cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 14

Halo 3 vs fttc

The property I am asking about has previously had adsl / vdsl at approx 60mb previously. The previous owner had halo 3 installed (which I have now inherited) and the max speed on that is much lower than 60mb. 

Firstly i wanted to confirm that the speed on Halo 3 should be the same as the speed on adsl it would be abnormal for them to be very different.

When you go on the website logged in and select to upgrade the halo3 package, it simply only gives you halo 3 as the only option and says expect a max of 20mb. If however you go to the vdsl / adsl page and put the postcode in, it says you should get 68mb. Something isnt correct somewhere.

My main question is whether its viable to move from Halo to adsl / VDSL or do you have to sign up for a new package and then cancel the current Halo package. I am trying to avoid any down time.

0 Ratings
13 REPLIES 13
Message 2 of 14

Re: Halo 3 vs fttc

Halo 3 has absolutely nothing to do with speed or technology, it is just a benefits add on package to whatever broadband package you have.

Secondly, you can't take over a contract at a property from the previous owner, you start a new contract.

Message 3 of 14

Thanks - I thought it would be identical. I just can't work out when you go into my account to "upgrade" why only halo is listed and not the other various packages. Also if I put the full postal address into the broadband checker it says I can get 60 ish meg with 50 guaranteed. When logged in and I go to upgrade it says I can upgrade to halo on 15mb - there is no mention of the 60. I won't bore you on the history but I have 100

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 14

You need to be using checker such as this 

https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/ADSL

it will give the approximate speed available  for your location , obviously if the service is already in an working ( and fault free ) the ‘true’ speed ( from the router statistics pages ) is the most accurate, however if the ‘true’ speed is out of line with the estimate it could well indicate that there is a problem , and investigation is required to ascertain why the actual speed is lower than the estimate.

When ISP give an estimate they tend to be on the pessimistic side , better to under promise and over deliver rather than over promise and under deliver.

As stated Halo is a selection of additional benefits , and changes nothing about the underlying broadband product, and obviously any speed test you perform should be using a wired device ( not WiFi )  with nothing else connected .

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 14

Thanks, that lists 80 as the max downlink which I would agree with so tending to think it maybe a line issue. Do you know what max observed speed is? Is that what bt have retrieved from their equipment or what an engineer has seen or....

Also what is fttp on demand? It says available, I think the exchange has fibre so was hoping fttp would be available but it's not showing on the products web page. Is there anything to give me more detail on that?

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 14

Hi @mvnick   

What Broadband package are you on? Have a look at the package,  it should say xxxxxxxx with Halo 3. The xxxxxxx is your Broadband.  FTTP on Demand is a business product,  10s of thousands to install with thousands of pounds per month.

Does the 80mbps say available or waiting list. It is best to show us the results minus your personal data like telephone number.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 14

It says fibre halo 3+

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 14

Maximum observed speed is literally that, the fastest actual speed that the router has reported at the premises.

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 14

@mvnickwrote:

It says fibre halo 3+

Hi @mvnick   So you are on FTTC vdsl. For further help you need to show us the results and technical log from your BT router. 

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 14

Ok thanks, that's strange as I had a speed above that only a few days ago. I'm wondering if the best thing would be to log a call for a line check as the cable is very old and maybe damaged

0 Ratings