cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 11 of 14

Re: Halo 3, worth the upgrade?

Go to solution

Thanks, that clarifies it.  I got a free upgrade to both in July so just hang on awhile, you might get a better offer next month 😉

Message 12 of 14

Go to solution

I have Fibre 100 (GFast) Halo 3. I went for Halo 3 because of the 'free' 4G hub you get if your service fails. I am fed by a long,  old overseas drop wire so I thought it was a good idea at the time.

I regret it now. The chief reason that Halo 3 exists is that it generates more regular monthly income for BT. With unlimited 4G on my phone I could manage for a while if my broadband went down and after a stable BT service here and elsewhere for a decade I doubt that a failure is very likely. The snag is that once you 'upgrade' to Halo 3 that becomes your starting point in negotiations for when you change your service. I have tried to get the Halo 3 removed from my account in order to save a bit of £ but they won't let me. I never seem to get to the end of a contract because I upgrade or take advantage of offers before then, so I am sort of locked in to Halo 3. It is a clever business model.

So am paying for a yearly visit from an expert, which I will certainly never use and, effectively, an insurance premium against a very unlikely event which may not be necessary anyway. 

I wonder, out of interest, if one didn't have Halo 3 but suffered an outage, whether BT would send a 4G hub anyway, I bet they would.

Message 13 of 14

Go to solution

@Forumcloudwrote:

I wonder, out of interest, if one didn't have Halo 3 but suffered an outage, whether BT would send a 4G hub anyway, I bet they would.

I’m not sure they would personally, but I suspect (for many on any copper based connection), the one off cost of buying a 4G router off of Amazon and suitable contract free data SIM as a backup, would work out far, far cheaper in the long run, even if it’s a more manual solution.

With the supposed robustness of a FTTH connection being one of its primary benefits, I would really struggle to see the benefits of taking Halo at all in that scenario.

Each to their own, but for most I believe it is additional cost for benefits they will never need.

————————————————————-
BT Smart Hub 2 | Halo 3+ | Digital Voice | Sky Q | Apple TV 4K | LG OLED
Message 14 of 14

Go to solution

@Forumcloud wrote:

I bet they wouldn't. 

Why would the send you something for free that other customers are paying for!