cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 11 of 22

Re: Have I made a mistake?

Youview dose need some more improvements.
I have been using Youview since 2013 and although some improvements have been made over the years. It's now starting to look a little outdated.

I do still use Youview for the Freeview channels and to at times record Freeview channels but in the last year. I been using the Amazon Firesticks more for apps.

Even got my sister an Amazon Firestick for her Christmas last year.

I just last weekend cancelled BT TV with Now(Now TV) Big Entertainment plus HD add on. As contract was up and take the same package direct from now with discounts for 3 months.

BT TV service with Now(Now TV) will end in the next 2 weeks.

I also use the Youview community forums and as much as I love Youview it's only a matter of time before its gets phased out.

The Youview boxes have been the most reliable boxes I have used in years and I have used a few Freeview  PVRs boxes over the years,

Darren

Message 12 of 22

I've sorted myself out with a workaround between BT and Apple, bit of a faff but with the BT recording screen and watchlist then I just add anything I need too to individual app My List functions. Feeling happier with my decision now as my cost saving per month against Sky Q is significant.

So hopefully Discovery will be onboard soon and I've read Youview have received further funding for the next few years so hopefully improvements continue.

BT do need to take the leap though and have their destiny in their own hands with in house platform development.

On the plus side the Pro box processes lovely picture and sound and the remote is one of the most tactile remotes I've ever handled. 😊

0 Ratings
Message 13 of 22

@PJCORNELLY Sky are always a pain to negotiate with but on Q, they will, you just have to be prepared to lose services sometimes for a little while to get the best deal as sadly you have only just found out.

Personally, I've always liked the YouView platform, I have had BT boxes and a retail version for many years. It does look and feel dated sometimes compared to Q or an Apple TV for example, but I think it is very good for where it is pitched in the market.

YouView does have funding for a few more years and posters like @DarrenDev have mentioned in a number of posts that there are plenty more improvements to come to the pro box. I suspect this will include a new multiroom set up similar to Q which allows you to share recordings from the main box.

But as I said a long time ago on this very forum, BT TV is really just Freeview Play with apps, something that can be achieved in a very similar way, cheaper and without a contract. The only current advantage BT TV has over alternatives is the ability to record NOW channels, but even BT's own data shows that demand for the recording of linear channels continues to drop.

An increasing majority either watch live (especially sport - "it's only live once..."), or catch up on demand. It might not be what you or I do, but every available metric supports this continuing change in viewing habits. 

With regards to on demand players, you are not comparing like for like. BT TV uses actual apps to deliver this catch up content, while on Sky Q, the only actual catch up app is BBC iPlayer. The deal Sky has with Channel 4, ITV and 5 means they have an actual copy of the show which they download to your box when you request it.

This isn't the same on Sky Glass which does have the catch up apps, but then Glass is a mess and best avoided for at least another 18 months!

Ultimately, Sky have paid the money to have the most integrations and exclusives currently, so if you do want everything in one place, they are hard to beat, but you do need to negotiate hard to make it good value. 

Where BT TV fits well are with people who don't want or can't get Sky for whatever reason, they like to record content and have access to most of the popular apps. SD or HD is good for them and they like the ability to be able to flex up or down with additional content from NOW when it suits, but don't want the rigmarole of doing it themselves (e.g. using a Freeview Play device with apps), and like the convenience of one bill. 

Everything has it's place, it's plusses and minuses. Sky Q isn't perfect, nor is BT TV. You pays your money and you takes your choice. 

For the record, I used BT TV for a number of years and left for two reasons:

1. I didn't like the switch to using NOW TV to provide the bulk of the additional content, especially when I could get the same content directly significantly cheaper
  2. I wanted to watch more UHD broadcast content (especially sport), but my broadband is too slow to cope, so satellite delivery was my only real choice as I hate Virgin Media

The irony that where I live is not even on the Openreach plan for deploying FTTH over the next 5 years is not lost on me, even if BT TV started offering Sky Sports, movies etc. in UHD I wouldn't be able to buy it from them. 

————————————————————-
BT Smart Hub 2 | Halo 3+ | Digital Voice | EE TV Pro | Sky Q | Apple TV 4K | LG OLED
Message 14 of 22

@stereohaven 

Thanks for your reply and you are right no platform provides the perfect solution all having positives and negatives.

My main viewing pleasure is quality vision and sound. In a world of 4K HDR & Dolby when we pay then we should really be offered the best.

The BBC started HD broadcasting in May 2006 and here we are some 16 years later still receiving SD transmissions from many providers. ITV should be embarrassed with the standard they churn out on the Hub, fingers crossed ITVX is 21st century technology.

Yes users still have old kit but for those of us that move with technology then it's only right we are serviced too.

Looking forward to what's coming 🙄😁

Message 15 of 22

@PJCORNELLYwrote:

@stereohaven 

...My main viewing pleasure is quality vision and sound. In a world of 4K HDR & Dolby when we pay then we should really be offered the best.

The BBC started HD broadcasting in May 2006 and here we are some 16 years later still receiving SD transmissions from many providers. ITV should be embarrassed with the standard they churn out on the Hub, fingers crossed ITVX is 21st century technology...

It's really important to note that those of us that believe in picture and sound quality are in a minority, often even in our own homes, which is why it isn't a concern for many providers to the level we think it should be.

There are people that walk this earth who would think nothing about dropping upwards of £3k on a beautiful OLED TV, leave it on it's default settings out of the box and watch re-runs of Bullseye on Challenge in standard definition whilst proclaiming the picture to be "great".

————————————————————-
BT Smart Hub 2 | Halo 3+ | Digital Voice | EE TV Pro | Sky Q | Apple TV 4K | LG OLED
Message 16 of 22

@stereohaven 

🤣🤣🤣 Yep! That's the sister in law.

Message 17 of 22

I too hope that we can actually get to a point where we can have 4K quality across the board as the bare minimum standard! TV technology is capable of sublime quality versus the broadcast definition. It's a bit like having car companies producing various advanced sports cars, but decayed tracks with sharp rocks, potholes and quicksand are all we have to drive it on. 

Message 18 of 22

I am using BT for general viewing, catch the news the odd quiz show etc. For drama and documentary programs it's Apple TV.

The My List/Watchlist works but could be better, elsewhere the graphics throughout are sublime and the information provided for absolutely everything is second to none and once you've bought the box it's free.

Of course subscriptions for apps have to be paid for but these can be used across platforms and in the main nearly all major apps are on Apple TV. Buy outside of Apple and login via your email they are sometimes cheaper than via Apple direct 😉.

The quality streamed is also excellent 4K, HD and yes still some SD but rare in SD.

If only Freeview Play had an app it would be complete but as always every platform has drawbacks 😮💨

If anybody has a workaround for Freeview or an EPG that would be interesting to know.

@DarrenDev, in another thread told me that the BT App on Apple is to get a makeover this year, so hopefully that could be the answer.

Message 19 of 22

I watch 100% of my TV through AppleTV. This is despite subscribing directly to BT for BT Sports Ultimate, and the full NowTV package. £67 all in. I know I could get Now cheaper outside of BT through various offers (and I did this for years) but it's still a pretty good deal. I have no TV arial, and no sat dish. I do have a 900Mb FTTP connection though. Which is handy.

I know that's at the extreme, but bottom line: there's a lot of options to cater for a lot of different preferences.

Message 20 of 22

RESULT!

BT have agreed me a deal of TV & NOW for £17.00 a month

SKY Q have agreed me a deal for Utimate Premium for £27.00 includes Netflix 4K, this is normally £38.00

So £44.00 giving me total home coverage and on the go in UHD or HD. 

Perfect for me, BT in the bedroom and Q in the living room. 😊