cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 8

Help following break up

Relationship has broken down and have had to move out of my home with pretty much nothing but a bag of clothes.

Currently sofa surfing and on benefits, and now the ex is refusing to pay any of the broadband bill (we were meant to be splitting it and it’s a huge £75 per month).

Contract runs until May next year and I just don’t know what to do. I understand I can’t just cancel it, but I would have hoped there was something I could do in such a situation.

am trying to save enough for rent so at least I can get somewhere secure to have 50/50 custody with the kids. With the cost of living ever increasing, I honestly don’t know what to do any more.

is there any advice anyone can give me in this situation? Everything is feeling pretty bleak and if I could sort at least this one thing maybe it would be some weight off my mind.

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8

Re: Help following break up

Given the mention of benefits is this of any use? - BT Home Essentials Broadband | Universal Credit Broadband

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 8

you are going to need a permanent address before you can get any broadband apart from tethering your mobile which will be expensive

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 4 of 8

If the account is in your name, you need to talk to customer services 0800 800150 and explain the situation. If the account is in his name, you have no responsibility toward paying.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 8

Thank you so much - unfortunately as I’m tied into a contract it looks like I can’t even change it to this, I’m going to have to keep paying it and the ex will keep benefiting 😿

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 8

Speak to customer services

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 8

@Taz8 wrote:

Thank you so much - unfortunately as I’m tied into a contract it looks like I can’t even change it to this, I’m going to have to keep paying it and the ex will keep benefiting 😿

Cancel it and pay the cancelation fee and stop her from benefiting or keep paying for it and she gets the benefit of broadband for free.

Depending on what you want to do either way you may end up paying for it but the end result could give you some comfort/pleasure and severely hack her off.

Stopping the broadband won't stop you getting shared custody of the children.

Message 8 of 8

Being in a contract shouldn't stop you from being able to switch to the social tariff, I did it in the middle of my contract easily.

Only possible issue would be for address issues, but try online using the automatic application and if not call and explain the situation. If you do switch, you can leave with a months notice and no fees.