cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 8

Help for a vulnerable adult

Go to solution

I have an 89yo uncle who has a landline with BT. Following a fall and due to age related health problems he is now housebound. He suffers from Aphasia (https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/aphasia/) which basically means he is unable to speak but does not affect his intelligence. Prior to his fall he paid his BT bill using cash at the local Post Office. Being housebound he no longer has access to cash and cannot get to the Post Office. At a recent visit he showed me his latest bill and asked me to establish a DD for him. However, after speaking to a completely unhelpful Customer Services Advisor (Sean/Shaun) I find it is impossible to do this. Since my uncle can no longer speak you may wonder why he needs a BT landline. It is only required to facilitate his emergency call/falls alarm to Carelink. Sean/Shaun suggested a Power of Attorney but according to the Office of the Public Guardian these are currently taking 20+ weeks to register. Does BT have any way of assisting an 89yo vulnerable customer before he gets cut off and loses his emergency lifeline?. All other utilities Gas/Electric/Water have been sypathetic and assisted but it would appear BT do not give a hoot about the vulnerable.     

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8

Re: Help for a vulnerable adult

Go to solution

your uncle should register here just in case phone problems

https://www.bt.com/content/dam/bt/help/including-you/BT_Free_Priority_Fault_Repair_Scheme.pdf

I have asked forum mods to see if they can help  they are BT employees and will reply here  may be a problem if no POA

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 8

Go to solution

@robocop1 

Welcome to this user forum for BT Retail phone and broadband customers.

Please see https://www.bt.com/help/here-for-you

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 8

Go to solution

Hi, @robocop1 welcome to the community and thanks for posting, I'm really sorry you didn't get help when you called on behalf of your uncle. We have to follow strict security validation rules to ensure we keep our customer's information secure and I presume this is where the problems occurred when you called.

A direct debit can be set up using the website or on our automated contact number where you don't need to speak to an advisor.

Set up a Direct Debit in My BT

Alternatively, you can call 0800 44 33 11. 

You'll need your:

• bank or building society account number
  • sort code

I'd recommend you set up a MyBT account anyway and register yourself as an account manager and that would mean we can speak to you about the account over the phone should you need to call for your uncle in the future. If you need any further assistance with this I've sent you a private message so you can get in touch with the moderation team and we'll be happy to help.

Thanks

Neil

BT Community Moderator

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 8

Go to solution
I have tried to the 'Account Manager' route but of course they need my uncle's permission. It is pending at the moment. I just hope they are not trying to ring him because for obvious reasons he cannot speak and due to his other disabilities he could well fall if he attempts to get to the phone.
0 Ratings
Message 6 of 8

Go to solution

Hi @robocop1

Thank you for taking the time to get in touch and for chatting with me today.

That's the paper Direct Debit mandate ordered.  It'll be delivered in the next 3-5 working days.  Complete the form and send it back and we'll get the Direct Debit in place at that stage.

I'll go ahead and close this off as agreed.  I have also sent you a message privately with full info.

All the best,

Robbie

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 8

Go to solution

There is a solution. Thank you RobbieMac.

Message 8 of 8

Go to solution

@robocop1 wrote:

There is a solution. Thank you RobbieMac.

You're welcome @robocop1 

I'm glad I could help you out.

Robbie

0 Ratings