cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 6

High broadband price - cheaper alternative

So i am locked into a Broadband deal for next 12 months - around 150mbps at around £44

Cables in road have been updated & a local supplier has just quoted me £29 & 900mbps - a quarter of the price for over x5 the speed😡

Contacted BT & they said all they can do is upgrade me to their 900mbps service at a price of £56!!! - near double the local supplier 🙄

Been with BT for over 15 years so am feeling a bit p*ssed off - anything i can do or do i just have to suck it up & see out my contract ( & then leave!) ??

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6

Re: High broadband price - cheaper alternative

you can leave and pay the early cancellation charges - with 12 months left maybe few £100 - or you suck it up for 12 months and then move free

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 6

The current customer price for 150Mb is around £31 , so I would suggest that it’s more than just broadband you are paying £44 for , you may have Halo or telephony or some other additional items

….as far a comparison with Alt Nets , they often have prices that look unbelievably attractive but it’s IMHO an unsustainable price model, they need to get customers signed up ASAP , just to give them some income from customers so the initial deals are extremely cheap , but the prices are not likely to stay low forever , you may say that for as long as they are cheaper you would  use them, that’s obviously your choice , but there are other things to consider as well as price , reliability, congestion, customer service/ speed to repair if problems happen etc, do they provide compensation for outages etc etc.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 6

Yet another reason for Ofcom to stamp out these unwarranted two year contracts. But as usual, they're asleep at the wheel.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 6

Also on the altnets it's probably a lot to do with government grants in some cases too, how many of them startup but are then swallowed up by a main provider as the model isn't sustainable

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 6

Also, with many of them, you do not get your own IP address, just a shared one with many other users. (CGNAT). This makes it much cheaper to implement, but can cause issues with gaming, as its impossible to open incoming ports.

TOOB for example, use CGNAT, but charge extra if you want your own IP address, and only on an 18 month contract.

Tags (1)
0 Ratings