cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 8

How do I tell BT that I have returned my old hub?

Go to solution

Recently I upgraded my BT service by adding Halo, but accidentally and unexpectedly ended up on digital line with a new hub.
At the time BT said they would send a bag for the return, which eventually arrived many days later (the hub itself sent tracked 24, took over 96 hours).  This was promptly sent back with my old hub and a couple of [now] redundant BT handsets, but mail strikes etc. meant it too took days and days to arrive (despite being tracked 48): -

"Delivered

Your item was delivered on 24-12-2022.
Tracking number: XX9870960nnXX
Service used: Royal Mail Tracked Returns 48™

Tracking history

Saturday 24 December 2022 15:46
Delivered by Scottish Parcel Hub Delivery
Friday 23 December 2022 11:38
Item Received Medway MC
Tuesday 20 December 2022 00:24
Item Received North West Super Hub
Monday 19 December 2022 14:38
Accepted at Post Office

"

Alas also today I recived SMS and email reminding me to return my old hub, with a threat to charge me for it, even though it was BT who chose to use stirke afflicted and moluscine Royal Mail and BT probably now won't process my returned hub until 4th January 2023 at the earliest (returns goto Scotland).

Does anyone know how to tell BT that my old hub is in their custody and not to charge me because of their agent's and their own dilitariness?  I followed the links online, but it seems the only way is yet another 45 minute telephone call to "customer service".

TIA

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8

Re: How do I tell BT that I have returned my old hub?

Go to solution

Call BT on  0330 1234 150 with your Proof of Postage or Proof of Delivery and they will update your account. 

Message 3 of 8

Go to solution

Hi @CellBlock

Welcome and thanks for posting!

I am sorry you're still receiving notifications to send back the equipment.  I see from the tracking history you posted that the item was delivered yesterday.  It may just take a couple of days to update however, the advice @gg30340 has given you would be best.  Providing my colleagues in the helpdesk the proof of postage ref will enable them to mark the equipment as returned there and then.

Feel free to post back and let us know how you get on.  If you do need further help we can give you a hand here too if needs be 😊

Thanks,

Robbie

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 8

Go to solution

Thanks.

That is the 45 minute phone call option, had a lot of these recently, particularly with BT Business - equipment not as ordered, arrived unprogrammed, Mobile app' dysfunctional, SIM's sent to hyperspace, duplicate phantom account, spurious bills, cut off for non payment (when on DD) and so on.  Little chance of getting anyone this year either.

What I was hoping for was a web page, I had somehow missed, where I could just type it in, but for a company with "communication" in their name they make it very hard to communicate with them.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 8

Go to solution

There is no webpage other wise it would have been given to you.

This is a BT Residential customer forum.

If you want to have a rant about BT Business you will need to post on the BT Business forum.

Home - BT Business Community

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 8

Go to solution

This query is about residential.

I was also perforce installing digital line in an office.  45 minutes seems to be the 'mode' for a call to customer service at BT.  Whilst the calls are free it is a significant PITA to have to hang on listening to their [currently Xmas] muzak selection three times.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 8

Go to solution

If the item was only received yesterday it will take a while to go through the system before your account is updated.

If you want it updated sooner you will need to call BT as suggested.

If you are happy to wait, just wait. You have the proof the BT have received the item should there be any problem/dispute later on.

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 8

Go to solution

Well this does appear to have been solved.  

Today I received text and email from BT confirming return, and no charge appeared on my January bill, so fingers crossed there won't be!

Last year a friend had BT set up a phantom mobile account for his business, with incorrect address and landline number.  The first he knows about it is a letter from bailiffs demanding ~£500 for cancellation because nothing had been paid.  Took some sorting, but instead ~£500 compo'.

0 Ratings