cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 5

How to get Refund for Compensation paid into account?

Go to solution

Hi,

Got a nice amount of compensation for loss of service as a result of a tree taking down our phone line. We pay by monthly direct debit and rather than stopping the payment for a few months I'd like to take the compensation amount out of the account. 

Just had a good look around and can't see any way to get the money out. 

Can anyone advise?

Thanks

Alchad

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5

Re: How to get Refund for Compensation paid into account?

Go to solution

@alchad 

Compensation is only paid against future bills, that is the way that BT operate. No need to cancel any direct debits.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 5

Go to solution

This BT page https://www.bt.com/help/account-and-billing/automatic-compensation says compensation "We add it as a credit to your next bill"

Ofcom page dated 12 March 2024 at: https://www.ofcom.org.uk/phones-telecoms-and-internet/advice-for-consumers/costs-and-billing/automat... says

How compensation will be paid

Unless you agree otherwise, compensation will be a credit on your bill. The credit will appear on your account within the timeframes above but may show on your bill at a later date.

Does look as if BT hasn't caught up with Ofcom ruling?

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 5

Go to solution

@allanraymondwrote:

Does look as if BT hasn't caught up with Ofcom ruling?

Any positive credit can be refunded to the bank account on record or a cheque sent, regardless of how or why the credit was applied, the account holder can request the refund by getting in touch.

Message 5 of 5

Go to solution

@-Richie-

I'm just quoting what it says on the BT site which is "We add it as a credit to your next bill". I couldn't see it mention any alternative form of payment.

0 Ratings