cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 8

I was charged 18 months for a service that I cancelled.

I called BT today as was having all sorts of problems. First two people I spoke to were very Helpful! Until I for transferes to the billing department…. 
one of the problems I had was that I was charged  for BT sports when i had cancelled this 18 months ago. I have only recently noticed I was being charged for it and one of the reps I spoke (John from Newcastle) said he could see I did not have that on my package (even know I was being charged and he recognised the problem) and that I had requested for this to be cancelled on 19 February 2021. He put me through the billing department  and they tell me that the max refund they can offer is 3 months but on this occasion (after senior manager approval) they would offer 6 months …. How can this be right?? I’m expecting the 6 months credit on my account  but I said I reserved the right to escalate the matter further. Can someone assist here and confirm where does it say on BT’s T&C or elsewhere that this is right? And that if you don’t complaint straight away we lose your money etc 

the lady in the billing department then said there was no record of my cancellation… well, I was told the exact date by her colleague from the defaults  department… so clearly there was a record.

It’s frustrating… and not the duty of care you would expect from such a big organisation. 

many thanks in advance for any help and assistance you can offer.

barbara 

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8

Re: I was charged 18 months for a service that I cancelled.

On the flip side how has it taken you 18 months to notice? The bills are your own responsibility to check & make sure they're correct at the end of the day so if it's on your bills are you not checking them monthly or something? If there was an issue with a cancellaation order not completing or something that's obvioudly BT's fault but it's not clear from your post if that was the case or not

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 8

Yep, fair question. As I explained to them I didn’t have access to my BT ID account and only set it up yesterday. I just assumed the monthly cost was higher cause perhaps I used my landline more or something else. I take that I should have been more diligent in looking at my bills etc but then I don’t think it’s right for them to acknowledge there was a mistake (one of them did), they knew I wasn’t using BT sports and charged for it … and then having another person saying there was no record of it but as a gesture of goodwill almost they will give me 6 months back  …  if that is what it is then fine. But I find it odd they would give me 6 months as a gesture of ‘good will’ and take me in my word… maybe I’m lucky and I don’t know it? 
Whatever the answer is, would be good to see in writing somewhere and having someone explaining why one person at BT knows the exact day I called and the other (in the billing department) doesn’t … 

thanks 

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 8

Hi @Bbento82 and welcome to our community.

Thanks for posting about the charges, I'm sorry there's been some confusion. You mentioned not having set up your BTID until recently. Were you receiving paper bills or email notifications?

Cheers

David

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 8

@Bbento82wrote:

Can someone assist here and confirm where does it say on BT’s T&C or elsewhere that this is right? And that if you don’t complaint straight away we lose your money etc 

Under the terms and conditions - 9E states :
If you genuinely think we’ve made a mistake on your bill, tell us straight away.

If you pay monthly, you've had 16 invoices generated since 02/2021, it falls under your responsibility to check they are accurate and contact BT if not, obviously everyones circumstances vary but it is reasonable to expect you to dispute it sooner than after 16 months have passed.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 8

Hi there, I never received paper bills or email notifications.

thnaks 

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 8

Thank you. 

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 8

Hi there, I just remembered I did lose access to the email address I used when I first joined BT back in 2013. So if bills were issued electronically they were probably sent to my old email address … I will check whether I have ever received any bills prior to losing access on an old iPad I have that still contains old emails. Thanks everyone for your input. I Realise I should have been more diligent but I genuinely didn’t notice it, and as I called them and cancel it notice I just  assumed BT would do the right thing. it would be good to know my rights regardless. 

0 Ratings