cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 6

Is line rental included in copper Broadband packages

My parents are on a copper line and are paying for Broadband Unlimited but are also being charged for Line rental at £23.05 a month. They have had BT Broadband for many years. I thought that the line rental was included in the price of the broadband package. We have tried querying this with the online chat people but their only response was to try to switch my parents over to fibre and say that they wouldn't be charged the line rental in the future. Are my parents being over charged by paying for both a broadband package and line rental?

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6

Re: Is line rental included in copper Broadband packages

@Magrox 

Line rental is included in the cost of broadband if both are supplied by BT Retail.

What are they being charged for the broadband part of their bill, as they may be on an old package where the two parts are charged separately.

If that is the case, then they would have to renew their contract to get the current prices.

Normal ADSL broadband is not being sold where fibre (FTTC) is available, which is why they would need to change. 

They would be supplied with a new BT Smart Hub 2 to replace their existing home hub. This would simply plug into the same place.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 6

I would suggest you phone the options team and see what you get offered to renew your contract as it appears your parents are still on a very old style contract with broadband and line rental separate 0800800030

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Message 4 of 6

I agree with @imjolly  and your parents are most likely on a legacy plan where you have standalone broadband with standalone line rental, it's known as solus.
It's from an age where you could have line rental from one provider, broadband from another and calls with a 3rd if you wanted, it was overly complicated.

Normally BT would of contacted the account holder but only if BT have marketing consents, ask for an account review as they will most likely have an old legacy calling plan.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 6

My parents are paying £34.24 a month for their broadband. What is confusing me is I am on the same exchange and in 2017 was on a similar package but in June that year BT announced that line rental was now part of the broadband package and they stopped charging me for it. My parents seem not to have had this change and have therefore paid around £1000 since June 2017 for line rental which I haven’t had to pay. They are on the 700 minute call plan plus broadband but also pay for line rental.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 6

@Magroxwrote:

They are on the 700 minute call plan plus broadband but also pay for line rental.

That's a newer calling plan, so they have regraded recently or within the last few years.

Are you sure they don't have a 2nd line ? if you look at the bills, it will show the telephone number being charged line rental and the telephone number that has the broadband, chances are they differ.

0 Ratings