cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 6

Is there a way to activate a broadband faster?

Go to solution

Hello,

my situation looks as follows:

I live in a flat of three tenants. We have used BT broadband for the last year, and we are satisfied with the service. However, one of the tenants (the one whose name is on the BT agreement) is moving out, and he is moving his BT broadband with him. We have already ordered a new contract for our address, but it will be activated on the 29th of March. The agreement of a former tenant on this address ends on the 17th of March, and service will no longer be available at this address.

My question is: Is it possible to avoid that gap between the 17th and 29th of March? We have a spare BT hub, and all the infrastructure is already configured for BT service (we used BT for the last year but as a different user). The only thing is, if possible, to activate the new service earlier (which date is currently set standardly a day after we get a new BT hub).

Kind regards

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6

Re: Is there a way to activate a broadband faster?

Go to solution

@SimonO1 

Provided the existing tenant has not asked for their connection to be ceased, then a Working Line Takeover would be the normal way, and service would be available to you on the date the tenant moves out, and you are then responsible for the connection.

If the tenant has asked for a cease, then its not possible for you to get service until the cease has been completed. That would be the most likely reason for the delay.

Message 3 of 6

Go to solution
Ok, thanks for the response.
0 Ratings
Message 4 of 6

Go to solution

@SimonO1 

What normally happens is when you initially placed your order with BT, the existing tenant should receive notification that someone want to takeover their line. This is an Ofcom requirement to reduce the chance of "slamming", where a provider takes over a line without permission.

If they stop that from happening, or if they have already asked for a cease, then that would introduce the delay.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 6

Go to solution

@Keith_Beddoe 

Is a working line takeover possible if the account holder has initiated an address move?

@SimonO1 

If you have decent EE coverage at the address you could try asking for the loan of a MiFi device to tide you over. I guess they can only say no.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 6

Go to solution

@rbz5416wrote:

@Keith_Beddoe 

Is a working line takeover possible if the account holder has initiated an address move?

No, a home move is 2 orders, 1 to stop the existing service which creates a pending stop on the line, 2 to provide service at the new address.

There will be a gap in service which can't be avoided, mobile data or free BT Wi-Fi is an option.