cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 9

Landline charges

Not sure if this is the right Board but here goes.  I changed over to the voip phones when it was first introduced.  BT sent me the phones and instructions on set up, all okay so far.  Looking at my latest bill i am being charged for use of my landline phone number even though it uses my BT broadband to make the call.  surely I should not be charged for a landline now. Is this correct?

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9

Re: Landline charges

@Laurieg1 

Its because Line Rental is included in the cost of all broadband packages.

You still have to pay for the rental of the fibre or copper connection, whether you want a phone service or not.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 9

@Laurieg1   The term Landline is confusing, do you mean calling plan? The cost of a calling plan is the same, It doesn't matter how the phone calls are delivered over copper or digital voice (broadband). Perhaps you can clarify what you mean by landline.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 9

Unless you have calls package 700 minutes or unlimited then you are on PAYG and pay for any calls you make using the DV phones. You pay for calls whether you old copper line or as you are VOIP and cost of calls are the same

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 5 of 9

@Laurieg1wrote:

Looking at my latest bill i am being charged for use of my landline phone number even though it uses my BT broadband to make the call.  surely I should not be charged for a landline now. Is this correct?

BT charge the same for landline and calls no matter how the service is delivered, if you're using the phone to make oubound calls then a calling plan is advised if you make more than a few hours of calls each month.

PAYG (Pay as you Go) charges are 26.12ppm (pence per minute), there is a 700 minute calling plan that gives the first 700 minutes inclusive to UK landline and UK mobile numbers, there is also an unlimited option if 700 minutes isn't enough.

More info on page 21 of the tariff guide - https://www.bt.com/assets/pdf/BT_PhoneTariff_Residential.pdf

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 9

I think that residential consumers get confused because many providers promote it by saying VoIP is a low cost alternative to the traditional, analogue telephone system which, of course, is the case for businesses which no longer need to invest in expensive, traditional telecom equipment.  

I would only advise taking a PAYG call package to those who hardly ever make calls out.  I had thought thought that BT still offered a 500 minutes call package?  When I was on the 700 minutes package I rarely came close to breaching it.

RIC9380

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 9

@RIC9380wrote:

I had thought thought that BT still offered a 500 minutes call package?

No longer sold, from memory around summer 2021

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 9

Still showing online today:

Need to change your calling plan?

Talking to friends and family is more important than ever right now. So if you’re making more calls than you used to, it’s easy to switch between our calling plans (Pay As You Go, 500 Minutes, 700 Minutes and Unlimited Minutes).

RIC9380

0 Ratings