cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 18

Landlines

Go to solution

Do I need my land-line for my broadband service or can I get rid of it?

0 Ratings
17 REPLIES 17
Message 2 of 18

Re: Landlines

Go to solution

@tobihoughton2000 

You still need to pay rental for the copper or fibre connection, that is included in the price, but you do not need to have a phone service, saving about £5 a month.

https://www.bt.com/broadband/broadband-without-landline

Message 3 of 18

Go to solution
Thank you 👍
0 Ratings
Message 4 of 18

Go to solution
Just checked my bill, doesn't detail the standing charge anywhere? How do I see e actly what this is?
0 Ratings
Message 5 of 18

Go to solution

@tobihoughton2000wrote:
Just checked my bill, doesn't detail the standing charge anywhere? How do I see e actly what this is?

Do you pay for a calling plan at the minute ? if so the cost of that is the saving you'll make by going broadband only, you would also lose the ability to make/receive calls, this includes 999 or any other emergency service, if you currently have a free calling plan, you'll save nothing by going broadband only.

@Keith_Beddoecan I send you a message ? I can explain the saving made as people keep quoting £5 and it's incorrect for existing customers.

Message 6 of 18

Go to solution
Yes please message, my call plan is £7.31 for 700mins anytime and that's it.
0 Ratings
Message 7 of 18

Go to solution

@tobihoughton2000wrote:
Yes please message, my call plan is £7.31 for 700mins anytime and that's it.

If you currently pay £7.31 for your 700 minute calling plan, you can drop the voice element and have broadband only, this will save you £7.31 each month.
Just be mindful to read Broadband only deals 

If you don’t use your landline phone, Broadband only lets you have the broadband you want without the landline you don’t. However, you won’t be able to make or receive any incoming calls on your landline phone. This includes calls to the emergency services.

No, you can’t retrieve your number once you’ve opted for Broadband only. This will also apply if you switch to a new provider.

You’ll need to make them on your mobile device. When you opt for Broadband only, you’ll no longer have a dial tone and won’t be able to make any calls on your landline phone. This includes 999 calls, other calls to the emergency services and calls to premium numbers.

Message 8 of 18

Go to solution

@Keith_Beddoecan I send you a message ? I can explain the saving made as people keep quoting £5 and it's incorrect for existing customers.

@-Richie- 

No its best to post it on the forum, as I have no easy way to archive PMs, unlike the RSS feed on the forum, where I keep a message archive.

Message 9 of 18

Go to solution
Thank you all I need to know 😉👍
0 Ratings
Message 10 of 18

Go to solution

@Keith_Beddoewrote:

@-Richie- 

No its best to post it on the forum, as I have no easy way to archive PMs, unlike the RSS feed on the forum, where I keep a message archive.

Fair enough 🙂

If an existing customer moves to broadband only, the saving they will make depends on what they pay for a calling plan or other voice supporting addons, many existing customers will have free calling plans or addons, in which case they wouldn't save any money at all.

A new customer though would be forced to pick a chargeable calling plan, the cheapest being PAYG for £5, without the voice element they can save £5 by not having to choose PAYG calling plan.

There is no discount for going broadband only, the saving is from not having to have a chargeable calling plan.

Does that make sense and explain where the savings are made now ? there's loads of forum posts of people being told about £2 or £5 savings etc, it comes down to not needing chargeable phone addons anymore.