cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 6

Master Socket - recently bought property

Go to solution

I’ve just bought a second home as a reveal property. I’m struggling to find the main socket. I’ve looked everywhere but can’t see anything that I’d expect it to be. It’s not a new build so there should be one. My tenant, about to move in, has talked to BT about moving her broadband package and they’ve said just take the router and plug it in and it’ll start working on the transfer date. This will be difficult if I can’t find the main socket (any socket), help, what do I do? Do I need to ring up and get an engineer out to put one in, can BT tell me what is supposed to be there? 

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6

Re: Master Socket - recently bought property

Go to solution

There are a few possibilities, perhaps the property has never had a BT type service , perhaps the previous occupant, for reasons known only to themselves , removed the socket and associated wiring , or perhaps it’s there , just you haven’t found it yet.
If the area is serviced by overhead means, you could check where the wire from the pole hits the property and trace the wiring from there into the property , if it’s served by underground cable, and is of the same style and design as neighbouring property’s then you could possibly ask a neighbour where their master socket is located .
If service is ordered , and system records show that the property had service previously, then advising to connect the equipment to the master socket on the appropriate date , and it should work , is standard procedure, even if you point out the master socket is ‘missing’ , chances are the order will proceed this way.

If the service doesn’t work , either by not locating the socket ( because someone removed it ) or you find the socket , but it doesn’t work on the day anyway, then either it gets noticed and rectified automatically by testing the line and ‘seeing’ it’s faulty,  (an early life failure) or it’s reported as a fault by the person who’s name the service is in .

Message 3 of 6

Go to solution

@Julesman 

Openreach will deal with any issues once the BT Retail order, or BT Home Move order has been placed.

Message 4 of 6

Go to solution
Will check later today
0 Ratings
Message 5 of 6

Go to solution
Would that require the tenant calling Openreach in advance?
0 Ratings
Message 6 of 6

Go to solution

@Julesmanwrote:
Would that require the tenant calling Openreach in advance?

No, Openreach are not public facing, they deal only with communicaion providers.
If when the services goes live, BT can then arrange an engineer to come up as an early life fault.

0 Ratings