Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 1 of 6

Moving Home and Speeds

Go to solution

Hello,

I am getting ready to move home, am tied in to my BT contract for a while longer so have raised a home-move. 

When I am not logged in to the system and I check speeds in the area I can see that it's between 61Mb to 73Mb with a stay-fast of 55Mb.

Details of my order are:

Your estimated download speed: 41Mbps - 45Mbps
Your estimated upload speed: 8Mbps - 9Mbps
Your Stay Fast download speed: 37Mbps

The lovely adviser I spoke with said that she'd raise a form with the data integrity team to get it checked but why is it so different?

Looking at all the other providers which includes BT's own value brand, Plus, I I can see they all offer a faster estimated and stay fast speeds?

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6

Re: Moving Home and Speeds

Go to solution

It's possible that the property isn't currently supplied by BT Retail and it's an estimated speed. Once the switch has completed, you should get faster speeds and access to faster products.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 6

Go to solution

It's an estimate. The actual speed will be exactly the same regardless of provider. All providers will use the same pair of wires and equipment in the cabinet.

0 Ratings
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 4 of 6

Go to solution

Thanks both.

The property currently has Plus in it and the person there (my other half) has the ability to go up to the higher speed for extra ££. 

I get that they’re estimating the speeds but the ‘stay-fast’ guaranteed connections on Plus vs BT is vastly different. 

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 6

Go to solution

I've never seen the point of the stay fast guarantee. Either there is a fault or there isn't. A hard fault is unlikely to just reduce the speed to below the stay fast guarantee and if the speed is reduced because of crosstalk, there is nothing any provider can do to rectify it.

0 Ratings
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 6 of 6

Go to solution

I spoke with one of customer service team and they advised it looks like there could be a problem at the time I ordered so recommended I cancel the whole order and place it again later. The cancellation also went wrong (typical!) and they had to send it off to the back office team to fix and cancel. 

Had a call back from one of the early life team yesterday who advised I should be able to make an order today. Place order and have FTTP being installed on my move date (900Mb connection) with a stay fast guarantee of 700Mb which is a big improvement! I’m now paying £5 more a month for full fibre rather than the original speed they offered me. 😂

How likely is it that the problem was Openreach were opening up full fibre for people to order and the system defaulted to Halo 1/the lower speed?

0 Ratings