cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 7

Moving House

Go to solution

Hi, I've just moved house and contacted BT to let them know. I have 8 months left on my contract, which was not full fibre.

I was happy to see out the current contract on that basis. However, BT informed me that as the new property has full fibre I would have to upgrade and take out anew 2 year contract - costing a few quid more than current contract.

My question is: Are BT breaking the contract I had with them and should I be free to look for a better deal elsewhere?

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7

Re: Moving House

Go to solution

The price should be the same if you want the same speed.

If you look elsewhere, then you will have to pay cancellation charges for the remaining part of your contract.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 7

Go to solution
Thanks for your reply.
You say, " the price should be the same if you want the same speed".
With respect, that's not the issue. The issue is being forced into a new contract without the option of looking elsewhere.
If I was refusing to contine with my existing contract then I would have to pay an exit fee, I get that - don't have a problem with it.
Why isn't it the same for BT. Why can they arbitrarily make up the rules to suit them?
0 Ratings
Message 4 of 7

Go to solution

I don't believe you should have to start a new contract if you stay at the same speed as your FTTC contract. Clearly if you upgrade to a higher speed you will need to re-contract.

Call customer services again and query the need to re-contract

Message 5 of 7

Go to solution

Sounds like a bit of upselling to tie you into a new contract. Assuming you are getting the same speed, but just a change of delivery method, just insist that you want to continue the rest of your remaining contract, and then look at your options.

Message 6 of 7

Go to solution

Sales staff looking for commission, I think.

Message 7 of 7

Go to solution

Thanks again, that's what I thought too. It's not that I have a problem with better internet,of course not. Just that I wasn't given the option of continuing with present contract. And the possibility of getting a better deal at that point.

Appreciate your help, thanks.

0 Ratings