cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 3

Moving to a home with poor broadband speeds

Hi, so I'm moving home soon and rang BT to change my address. BT has told me my new address can only receive 3mbps download speed. They told me I will have to sign up to another 24 month contract and pay a little more per month than what I'm paying now. Right now I'm paying £41.66 per month for 48mbps. The thing is my new house is directly across the road from me literally 15 paces and I'm there. The green fibre box is a couple minutes walk away. I have currently 12 months left on this contract. I have checked with other broadband suppliers and it seems to be the same broadband speed everywhere I look. Is there anything I can do or am I stuck with this really slow speed in the new house?

0 Ratings
2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3

Re: Moving to a home with poor broadband speeds

@mm8719 

Welcome to this user forum for BT Retail phone and broadband customers.

Use the address checker on the page below, and post the results, but edit out your address details first.

https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/ADSL

Its possible the cabinet is full at the moment, but that is likely to change.

You should not have to start a new contract if you have 12 months left. 

Message 3 of 3

Re: Moving to a home with poor broadband speeds

If you're being forced to downgrade, BT have a process that allows you to move for the same price, you've said it would be more expensive, ring back and speak with the Loyalty team about a forced downgrade.

It might also be that your new address is a silver or bronze address, if there hasn't been service there then the records will update when you move, meaning FTTC might then show, follow the steps @Keith_Beddoe  posted as it might just show FTTC is an option but only once the line is reactivated.

0 Ratings