cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 2

Need to downgrade my parents package!

Hi,

So my parents are pensioners in their 80's and don't really have much use for "tech" but my Mum does use an iPad (mostly for puzzles) and my Dad in particular likes BT Sport and does a few emails / spreadsheets on his old laptop.

They've been getting in a pickle about living costs of late and I've taken a look through their bills and discovered that they are paying £99 a month for full fibre 900 Halo 3 broadband.  I asked my Dad why he has such a high subscription and he said he had no idea and only refers to the phone calls he has made to deal with buffering issues on his TV service where they have offered to improve the speed.   On the face of it, it would seem that he has been oversold as he has only requested to have the service fixed to a point where it works properly.  Being of a certain age and also a trusting character, I suspect he has been told that faster would be better and that he needs this.  I haven't had a proper look at his bill history, but we did sign into his account online and he appears to have nearly 700 days left on his term, so it would seem that it's been renewed without any discount for a further two years recently.

I do have power of attorney paperwork, so can deal with this on my parents behalf (although I've not done this before and I'm sure it has it's own challenges), but on first look, there only appears to be options to "upgrade" not downgrade and I'm also concerned that they have recently tied them into another 2 years with no apparent discount.

I will get a copy of the invoices to look into this further, but does anyone have any experience of this, in particular what I believe will be mis-selling, rather than just looking at downgrades with early exit fees?

Thanks
Barry

0 Ratings
1 REPLY 1
Message 2 of 2

Re: Need to downgrade my parents package!

Look at the Ofcom website for rules and practices broadband suppliers have to adhere to. There is a section for vulnerable subscribers. Also there is a code of conduct for contract renewal where suppliers have to contact you before renewal outlining their best deals and the prices new subscribers are offered. If this has not been followed you have grounds for appeal.