cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 7

New Build Property

Hi.

My son is moving to a brand new build next month which unfortunately doesn't have BT, only persimmons own broadband is available. His contract with BT ends sometime this summer. Will he have to pay a cancellation fee? Ideally he'd prefer to stay with BT but this is out of his hands at the moment untill BT eventually is accessible on the new estate.

Please advise,

TIA

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7

Re: New Build Property

Persimmons run their own ISP on some sites, which doesn't use the Openreach network, he might have to cancel with BT.

By rights his contract is at his current address, by moving home he is choosing to break the contract, speak with BT and see what they say, the Value and Loyalty team deal with ceases and home moves, the number is 0800 800 150

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 7

Thanks for quick reply.

I don't understand how they could charge a cancellation fee when it's out of their hands.. ideally he wants to stay with BT but not an option by looks of it.

TIA

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 7

As I understand it, if BT cannot provide service at the new address, no cancellation fee is payable.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 7

@licquorice wrote:

As I understand it, if BT cannot provide service at the new address, no cancellation fee is payable.

That is my understanding as well. As long as you are using the "House Move" procedure. It might not be exactly the same service but if they can not provide anything then you are fee to leave without penalty.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 7

In most cases yes but without knowing the full details it's hard to guess, which is why I advised speaking with BT, previously the terms were along the lines of if they can't provide any service and the introduction of 4G broadband means more locations would be covered, now when looking I can't see that anymore.

Loyalty and Value are also the home move team, they'll have the latest info.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 7

There was a recent post  on this forum ( or a similar one ) with the same issue , someone moving to somewhere that BT couldn’t supply , the consensus on here was that as it’s the customer’s decision to move , then ETC’s would be raised, the OP later updated the post saying that BT had waived the ETC , as they couldn’t supply ( rather than the customer simply not wanting to use BT at the new address )  so it’s quite possible that in these circumstances the customer won’t be penalised.

0 Ratings