cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 7

Out of contract very soon

My contract with BT ends next week.  I am on Halo 1 currently paying £30.16 a month for 8-16mb speed.  The only offer I have received is to be transferred to Halo 3 (same download speed) on a new two year contract but at a cost of £37.16 a month.  John Lewis is offering me a comparable deal, ie unlimited broadband with the same speeds for only £18.75 a month.  My inclination is to jump ship as there is big price gap now and especially as prices will be rising 8 to 10 per cent in March.  In the meantime I have had an email  from BT which says that if I do not renew my contract then what I am currently paying will remain the same.  Is this really true?  If so what is the point of signing a new contract for two years where I will effectively pay an extra £350?  I just post the question as it just seems bizarre that BT treats longstanding customers in this way.  I do realise that Halo 3 offers more support but since I am living with a tech wizard it is extremely unlikely that I would need to use it.

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7

Re: Out of contract very soon

Your Halo 1 contract would have included the "retain the same price at end of contract".

You will be put on a monthly broadband contract at your current price. If you are happy with things as they stand then you  don't need to do anything.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 7

@conradwrote:

Your Halo 1 contract would have included the "retain the same price at end of contract".

You will be put on a monthly broadband contract at your current price. If you are happy with things as they stand then you  don't need to do anything.

I believe, the RPI increase + VAT has to be added.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 7

Many thanks. Hopefully that will happen but even so I am sorely tempted to move because we all know what's around the corner (massive electricity and gas price increases, national insurance tax rise and council tax increase).  

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 7

John Lewis utilize PlusNet. (BT owned).

I was with them many years ago as they were eaier to contact than PlusNet by phone.

Service is OK but, at renewal of contract they can be stubborn on giving you a deal and that was the reason I left them.

The advisor was quite rude and kept speaking over me all the time whn I tried to negotiate. 

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 7

I might be happy to put up with rude people in order to save £12 a month.  Thanks though, worth bearing in mind.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 7

@Carlusha   All contracts get hit with the CPI +3.9% each March but any Halo contract ending now would carry on at its current price until March.

0 Ratings