cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 3

Paying old debt

Go to solution

Help needed please!

I have an old debt with BT I wish to pay so that I can get it marked as paid on my credit report.  (Hoping to get a mortgage soon) 

I am having no luck paying this bill as BT say they can’t help me as I don’t know my account number.  They can see the debt and my name and address on the system but I can’t pay it as there’s no account number showing.  Therefore I can’t get it marked as settled on my credit report.  I have spoken to Experian and they say they can’t mark it as paid or take the debt off until BT let them know it’s paid.  I am just going around in circles trying to pay this debt, but BT say I can’t without my account number!  It’s ridiculous as I really want to pay it and get it settled on my credit report.  I’m just not getting anywhere when I speak to BT.  So frustrating as I want to pay it 

0 Ratings
2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3

Re: Paying old debt

Go to solution

The first thing you need to do is raise a dispute with either Equifax or Experian, depending on who the debt is with. You can do that at 

• Online at www.equifax.co.uk/ask
  • Call 0800 014 2955
  • Address – Equifax Ltd
    • Customer Service Centre
    • PO Box 10036
    • Leicester
    • LE3 4FS

or 

• Online at www.experian.co.uk
  • Call 0344 481 8000
  • Address - Experian Headquarters Talbot House
    • Talbot Street
    • Nottingham
    • N80 1TH

They'll then liaise with BT for you.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 3

Re: Paying old debt

Go to solution

Thank you Keith, I will do that today.  Hopefully they will get some joy from BT as I’m getting nowhere.  Thank you for your help 

0 Ratings