cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 20

Paying too much!

Hi,
As the title stats, we are paying too much per month/year for phone and broadband. On average we are paying out over £80 per month. I felt this was too much so I asked some work collages and on average they are paying £30+ for a similar service!
Our download speed is 60/ upload 16, speed 9ms
in my BT our contract is expired, our service was Halo fibre 1

I need good internet for work, digital marketing niche, i'm not bothered about gaming or streaming but i would like good internet for my server software.

Not my area of expertise, find all the deals/packages confusing to be honest.
My BT offers upgrade but the prices are still £60+ region, which is still more than people say it should be.
I don't think i should be paying anymore than £40 at the most for net and phone.

can anyone advise me please.

0 Ratings
19 REPLIES 19
Message 2 of 20

Re: Paying too much!

if you are no longer in a fixed term contract and now on rolling  monthly contract then it is likely that any discounts you had when you started your contract have now ceased and you are paying full price for your service

Try phoning the options team on 0800800030 and see what you can negotiate  make sure you have information about current offers from BT but also other ISP to help your negotiations

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Message 3 of 20

I need good internet for work, digital marketing niche, i'm not bothered about gaming or streaming but i would like good internet for my server software.

Then you really need to choose a BT Business package, as that offers a much better connection, and much lower contention ratios.

https://business.bt.com/products/broadband-and-internet/deals/

You also get a better SLA (Service Level Agreement) and compensation for lost business.

£19.95 a month offer at the moment.

33% off fibre business broadband

Get Fibre 38 (broadband only) for £19.95/month (was £29.95), saving you £240. That’ll get you feeling warm inside.

Prices ex VAT. Hurry, offer ends 5 February 2023. T&Cs apply.

Message 4 of 20

hi thanks for that, obviously i need to contact bt asap, but can this deal be used for home, and business and would i get a business phone number? if you don't know that is fine.
0 Ratings
Message 5 of 20

i only see upgrades for the same price range so i think we need to call bt asap to get a better deal/contract. most people i spoken to are only paying 30 a month, 50 tops!
0 Ratings
Message 6 of 20

You can always call BT retentions , armed with a price a competitor could supply the same service for and ask what BT will do to keep your business,  otherwise you will have to leave .

FWIW , a target price of around £30 for Fibre 2 , if your line supports that , isn’t unreasonable, a couple of £ cheaper for Fibre 1 , adding telephony could add a couple of £’s

Message 7 of 20

sounds like the best option tbh
0 Ratings
Message 8 of 20

My Fibre 2 Package is £36 a month with a £6 reduction.  I'm not sure when my "deal" expires - it doesn't say on the bill.  Meanwhile CityFibre has just arrived in the street, with 6(!) alternative providers, including Vodafone and Talk Talk, plus the old Virgin cable  - all cheaper but with no telephone.  The BT connection is  from a pole in the lane behind the house and OpenReach has abandoned its work to bring us FTTP overhead.  I don't plan to move on the basis of price but on service and speed and so far the first 50 years of BT have been fine.  I still use my landline - I like a proper telephone. My mobile is used only for apps.

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 20

but can this deal be used for home, and business and would i get a business phone number? if you don't know that is fine.

The only thing to bear in mind, is that you are not permitted to use a residential account for business use.

If you are running servers, then only BT Business offer a static IP address, which you would normally need.

You could ask for a business phone number, and that would be delivered using Cloud Voice, which uses an IP phone and is carried over your broadband connection.

BT Business also use Office365 (Outlook) for its email, which is a business grade service.

It depends on whether you are intending to promote your services in the future.

Message 10 of 20

I've just checked: my contract runs to January 2024.  But if I recontract now I can get Fibre 2 Halo3 for £1 a  month more than I pay now.  So tempting....?  I would get a Smart Hub 2 - I got one last year, and it is still in its box.  I don't need a router - I have a Deco network and a modem.